PDA

View Full Version : Mariyaan - Dhanush, Parvathi Menon ~ AR Rahman

Pages : 1 [2]

SoftSword
29th July 2013, 10:22 PM
@Softs padam parthacha? How like?

paakkalaam... naan innoru murai pakkalaannu irukkaen...
dhanush parvathi show...
the songs - innum konjam and engaponarasa are apt..
sonappareeya - functional, netru aval is a speedbreaker... but have to appreciate the guts to have that song in the second half..
nenje ezhu is too good on screen..

faithiu11
30th July 2013, 07:25 AM
mariyaan - boring

balaajee
30th July 2013, 11:02 AM
Rahman to perform concert tour in India after 20 years (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Rahman-to-perform-concert-tour-in-India-after-20-years/articleshow/21475835.cms) - Times of India

balaajee
30th July 2013, 11:18 AM
Just got to watch the movie. And for one it is very difficult to categorise the movie as a complete love story. It is basically two films rolled into one and in the end all we get is a convoluted plot....Its neither this or that.And am I the only person who believes that even the love track between Mariyaan and Pani (before he sets off to Sudan) looked contrived. I could never really feel the turbulence that Mariyaan goes through in his mind before accepting her love.At start, he treats her like nothing but a whizzing fly that irritatingly buzzes across the ears. And the reasons put forth for him to fall for her suddenly is what makes it contrived for me. You not only feel you'r watching two movies rolled into one, but also two Mariyaans. No. I am not talking the kadal raasa being reduced toa hapless victim in the palaivanam. Rather I am talking about Mariyaan the lover. There is some sort of tenderness in mariyaan when he speaks over the phone to Pani, a trait missing in him completely when he is at the sea. A change brought about by his love for Pani. We never get to experience the transition. we know the guy's changed, but we never experience it. We get a voice over at the start from Mariyaan about Sudan, Pani and man being the same irrespective of the geographical location.But the voice over is immediately chucked off once the movie moves to the flashback. Probably it should have been enforced here as well.....

Very true..

balaajee
30th July 2013, 11:36 AM
மரணத்தின் விளிம்புக்கே சென்ற 'மரியான்’ காதலால் மீண்டு(ம்) வருவானா..?
மீனவக் கிராமத்தின் 'கடல் ராசா’ தனுஷ். ஆனால், பார்வதியுடனான தனது காதலைக் காப்பாற்ற, பாலைவன சூடானுக்கு வேலைக்குச் செல்கிறார். இரண்டு வருட வேலை முடிந்து ஆசை ஆசையாக காதலியைப் பார்க்க ஊருக்குத் திரும்பும்போது, உள்ளூர் மாஃபியாக்கள் தனுஷைக் கடத்துகிறார்கள். பிறகென்ன நடந்தது என்பது 'நெஞ்சே எழு’ கதை!
'கடல் ராசா’ நாயகன், துளி நீர் இல்லாத பாலைவனத்தில் அல்லாடும் முரண் கதையோடு களம் இறங்கியுள்ளார் அறிமுக இயக்குநர் பரத் பாலா. நடிகனாக ஒரு ஃப்ரேமைக் கூட வீணாக்கவில்லை தனுஷ். ஆழ்கடல் வேட்டையின்போதும், முதல் முத்தத்துக்குப் பிறகான கிறக்க மயக்கத்திலும், 'என்னா...? இவனுங்க சுட மாட்டானுங்கடா’ என்று ஆதங்கம், கோபம் கலந்து வெடிக்கும் இடத்திலும், பணிபுரியும் நிறுவனத்தை அழைப்பதற்குப் பதில், பார்வதியை அழைத்து ரகசியமாகப் பேசி இறுதியில் தன்னைக் கட்டுப்படுத்த முடியாமல் முத்தமிடுவதாகட்டும்... க்ளாஸிக் தனுஷ்!
http://cdnw.vikatan.com/av/2013/07/mzniod/images/p8.jpgபார்வதி... இத்தனை நாட்களாக எங்கே போன ராசாத்தி? அத்தனை பெரிய கண்களுடன் காதல், கவலை, சோகம், மகிழ்ச்சி, நெகிழ்ச்சி எனத் துல்லியமாக உணர்வுகளைக் கடத்திவிடுகிறார். பார்வதியின் பரிதவிப்பு தனுஷின் 'தப்பிக்க வேண்டுமே’ படபடப்பை நமக்கும் கடத்துகிறது. படம் முழுக்க தனுஷ், பார்வதி என இருவருமே ஆக்கிரமித்துக்கொள்வதால் அப்புக் குட்டி, இமான், சலீம் குமார், உமா ரியாஸ், ஜெகன் ஆகியோரின் கச்சித நடிப்பு கவனிக்கப்படாமலே கடக்கிறது.
'கடல் ராசா..’, 'நெஞ்சே எழு..’, 'எங்கே போன ராசா’, 'இன்னும் கொஞ்சம் நேரம்..’ பாடல்களில் வசீகரிக்கும் ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மானின் இசை, பின்னணியிலும் தடதடக்கிறது. ஆழ்கடலுக்குள் நழுவுவதாகட்டும், பாலைவனத்தில் சோர்ந்து விழுவதாகட்டும்... மார்க் கோனிக்ஸின் ஒளிப்பதிவு அட்டகாசம். ஜோ டி குரூஸின் வசனங்கள் இயல்பு.
நடிப்பு, இசை, ஒளிப்பதிவு, வசனங்கள்... இவை எல்லாமே 'சூப்பர் ஃபிட்’ ஆகிவிட்டதே... இதற்கு மேல் என்ன வேண்டும் ஒரு சினிமாவுக்கு என்று நினைத்துவிட்டார்களோ? திரைக்கதை என்ற வஸ்து வேண்டுமே பாஸ்? பலவீனமான திரைக்கதையில் பின்னப்பட்டிருக்கும் ஒவ்வொரு காட்சியும் மிக நீண்ட நெடிய கடல் பயண அலுப்பு. சூடானின் அந்தக் 'குழந்தை’ தீவிரவாதிகளிடமிருந்து தப்பிக்க தனுஷ் எடுக்கும் முயற்சிகள்... எல்.கே.ஜி. பில்டப்புகள்!
கள வேலைகளில் செமத்தியாக ஸ்கோர் செய்திருக்கும் இந்த மரியான், காகிதத்தில் கப்பல் விட்டதுதான் சிக்கல்!

- விகடன் விமர்சனக் குழு

satissh_r
30th July 2013, 01:51 PM
dhanush parvathi show...
the songs - innum konjam and engaponarasa are apt..
sonappareeya - functional, netru aval is a speedbreaker... but have to appreciate the guts to have that song in the second half..
nenje ezhu is too good on screen..

naanum pathuten, 2nd half fulla erkanave trailerla pathuta feeling.. Loved the first half though, Dhanush rapidly climbing the list of my fav actors

MusicIsLife
30th July 2013, 06:58 PM
i just heard the Nenje Ezhu song.. thanks Maddy.. what a wonderful tune..

joe
1st August 2013, 07:55 PM
மரியான் - கடற்புறத்தை களமாக்குறோம் பேர்வழி என வந்துள்ள இன்னொரு மொக்கை .

joe
1st August 2013, 08:35 PM
நானும் கடற்கரை கிராமத்துல பொறந்து வளர்ந்தவன் தான்யா. அங்கே காதலிக்குறவங்க யாரும் ஜோடியா அலையில போய் புரளுறது , மணல்-ல போய் படுத்துக்கிறது , பாறைக்கு மேலே நிலாக் காயுறது எல்லாம் பண்ணுறதில்லைய்யா ..சொன்னா நம்புங்கையா இயக்குநர் திலகங்களே .. முடியல

Dilbert
2nd August 2013, 10:00 AM
finally saw 3/4th of the movie on cam print dvd from grocery store.. (even grocery store owner warned me not to take it :rotfl:). what a colossal waste of time and money.

As usual a mama wanted to taste sea food thought hard and long came up with a story..

1) Lets find equivalent of Chennai version of Daniel Craig in Tamil Cinema
2) And next lets look for a super mallu figure (which he did , the only right thing he did she is just stunning :slurp:) who can cook sea food..
3) now lets copy some scenes from 1980s love stories
4) Lets add some exotic location(s) to make it look like modern cinema, a big leap in Tamil cinema etc etc..
5) And a fancy names like ARR , some french cameraman.

make some crap up .. audience will lap it. and I get to eat some good sea food end of story.

most disturbing part for me was , directors audacity to drag SL / Indian fisherman struggle in to this lame story line. Either you should have guts to say
the story or you should zip up and continue with your crap. You can't / shouldn't use these issues as pickles to your film.

aceqoxim
2nd August 2013, 01:48 PM
Watched the movie. Don't understand why it's bashed in the hub. The movie isn't pretentious (*cough* *cough* like insert myskin or other wannabe world standard film makers' movies here) , it delivers what it aims, a simple narration about two lovers and their circumstances. Editing could have been more crisp, but other than that I didn't find much to complain about. Enga pona rasa is like rain on a summer's day. I was more taken by Parvati's performance than Dhanush's, mainly because it was unexpected. Who is this nobody was my first opinion about her, end of the movie I was a fan. Dhanush- if there is one man who can come close to even try and fill KH's shoes, it's got to be this guy. This movie is definitely going to be in my repeat list.

mappi
2nd August 2013, 03:38 PM

it delivers what it aims, a simple narration about two lovers and their circumstances.
This movie is definitely going to be in my repeat list.

Dhanush rapidly climbing the list of my fav actors

Either you should have guts to say the story or you should zip up and continue with your crap.

Maryan is really good film.

We never get to experience the transition. we know the guy's changed, but we never experience it.

Camera work, Music and background score has been outstanding. Performance of Danush and parvathy is top notch. Danush is becoming a "nadipu ratchasan :) "

Some ideas which I liked are,

Overall, though the movie is slow, the performance of both the lead actors makes it a sure watch.

Marakkaama tamil cinema formulava follow panni irukkaanga :

the movie has its moments....

and the last, real hero ARR !solla thevaye illa!'A1 RR'...

Maryan never tries to be anything apart from being a story which unravels in a very beautiful way.

wow..wt a movie yaar.

Excellent first half with lot of 'wow' moments. Dragging second half with lot of 'sigh' moments.

Sumaar movie. Looks like critics watched different version.

Maryan does not run 4 hours. It just seems so

Wow, so many good & varied views for the same movie. I like it.

But you people are missing something here - The 1/2 page review of yours truly. You still got time by posting any links to Lotus or SCR prints ... LoL

Most of you here have watched the movie, except me. Not only the screening time is inaccesible, they released it here during (my) vacation.

After going through all your take on the movie, I am very much interested to watch it. Any help appreciated.

(Sentiment onu poduvom) : I fell missed out !

SoftSword
2nd August 2013, 06:19 PM
mappi...
wait for a good dvd print...
watch out in einthusan...
mattamana thiruttu printla ellam patthuttu dhayavu senju review eludhadheenga...

joe..
ungalukku theriyaadha sattam ondrum illai...
lovers in gramams(kadarkarai/pattikadu/any) is evolving/advancing faster than lovers in cities..
locations/dialect/people authentica irukkaangalnu sollunga... i remember u said kadal was a bit authentic in these... but i felt this ones portrayal was better than that of kadals...

NOV
2nd August 2013, 07:37 PM
IMHO the best among the three is Neer Paravai... padamnaa idhuthaan padam :thumbsup:

Avadi to America
2nd August 2013, 07:46 PM
IMHO the best among the three is Neer Paravai... padamnaa idhuthaan padam :thumbsup:

solliayachu illa.... channel livela nalaikey parthuda vendiyathu thaan...

NOV
2nd August 2013, 07:57 PM
solliayachu illa.... channel livela nalaikey parthuda vendiyathu thaan...:2thumbsup:
the movie is winning awards after awards, the recent one was just this week!

mappi
2nd August 2013, 07:58 PM
Neer Paravai : Something usually comes in the way when I think about watching it. Nov had been recomending it for a while now. *facepalm*
I try (again) to watch it this weekend.

NOV
2nd August 2013, 08:15 PM
watching it on the big screen will give you the best experience... otherwise look for a decent clear copy

Avadi to America
2nd August 2013, 08:52 PM
watching it on the big screen will give you the best experience... otherwise look for a decent clear copy

This is too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!! intha padathaellam USla release pannamatanunga... veetla thaan pakka poren...

joe
2nd August 2013, 09:02 PM
soft,
To be frank ,i watched only first half ..mudiyala :lol:

location - yes, Nerodi thaan .. athai onnum panna mudiyathu
dialect - kodumai .. avanganvanga sontha oor paashai pesuranga .. Danush Theni bashai pesurar .. Iman annachi Trinelveli bashai pesurar ..Nerodi bashai yaarum pesalla.
people - suththam .athai pathi pesamaliruppathu nallathu .

Overall .. Bharath bala buildup mattum korachel illa .. aana ithu p.vasu-ve better .

Ithu pola pretending padathuthukku pretend pannatha Chinnavar maathiri padam paarkkalam ..for better .

Dilbert
2nd August 2013, 09:21 PM
mappi...
wait for a good dvd print...
watch out in einthusan...
mattamana thiruttu printla ellam patthuttu dhayavu senju review eludhadheenga...

joe..
ungalukku theriyaadha sattam ondrum illai...
lovers in gramams(kadarkarai/pattikadu/any) is evolving/advancing faster than lovers in cities..
locations/dialect/people authentica irukkaangalnu sollunga... i remember u said kadal was a bit authentic in these... but i felt this ones portrayal was better than that of kadals...

Yo , who added this mattamana rule ya? Thank heavens I didn't watch this movie in theater.
indha padatha cam print parkardhea periya thappu edhulea dvd veriya , don't promote crappy movies just because it has ARR label. Don't follow others principal (promoting anything everything about Dainel Craig like NOV) hehe :lol:

Be a good boy ya !!

SoftSword
2nd August 2013, 09:41 PM
soft,
To be frank ,i watched only first half ..mudiyala :lol:

location - yes, Nerodi thaan .. athai onnum panna mudiyathu
dialect - kodumai .. avanganvanga sontha oor paashai pesuranga .. Danush Theni bashai pesurar .. Iman annachi Trinelveli bashai pesurar ..Nerodi bashai yaarum pesalla.
people - suththam .athai pathi pesamaliruppathu nallathu .

Overall .. Bharath bala buildup mattum korachel illa .. aana ithu p.vasu-ve better .

Ithu pola pretending padathuthukku pretend pannatha Chinnavar maathiri padam paarkkalam ..for better .

i have seen more than a few people calling this movie as unpretentious... but ur the first to call pretending... edha solringa?

SoftSword
2nd August 2013, 09:42 PM
Yo , who added this mattamana rule ya? Thank heavens I didn't watch this movie in theater.
indha padatha cam print parkardhea periya thappu edhulea dvd veriya , don't promote crappy movies just because it has ARR label. Don't follow others principal (promoting anything everything about Dainel Craig like NOV) hehe :lol:

Be a good boy ya !!

by saying 'mattamaana' i did not talk about the act of watching a movie in thiruttuvcd id cheap.. i mentioned about the print...
the camera work is really awesome which would not regret if u watch it in bigscreen... the landscapes are real good..

joe
2nd August 2013, 09:51 PM
i have seen more than a few people calling this movie as unpretentious... but ur the first to call pretending... edha solringa?
The whole first half i watched . Ethuvume iyalba illa.

SoftSword
2nd August 2013, 09:52 PM
okay... recalling one interesting scene when mariyaan calls panimalar when the terrorboys think he is talking to his company...
very well written, executed and performed scene...
i was wondering if it was too smart for mariyaan to plan that and deceive those guys but the sequence finished well when he got carried away with emotions and started kissing her only to get caught.. those microseconds when he shows those reactions when he thinks that he may not make it ever to kiss her again and so it is worth getting beaten and goes ahead doing it...
beautiful..

good that dhanush did not overperform in that scene when he was context switching lik anniyan climax vikram..

SoftSword
2nd August 2013, 09:55 PM
The whole first half i watched . Ethuvume iyalba illa.

yeah i got that opinion of urs in the first post... and i take ur words for someone who has got a firsthand idea of such premises..
i just wanted to know the thing which made u feel pretending... u mean the setup/people/dialects not being authentic as pretending?

Dilbert
2nd August 2013, 10:01 PM
by saying 'mattamaana' i did not talk about the act of watching a movie in thiruttuvcd id cheap.. i mentioned about the print...
the camera work is really awesome which would not regret if u watch it in bigscreen... the landscapes are real good..

Ya pay 10 quids and get yourself a blu-ray copy of "Life" or "Planet Earth" narrated by david attenborough, it will serve you just fine minus agony of seeing
some horrible acting skills of Thanush. As per me all of'em showed zero skill in acting department. KR Vijaya School of acting was written all over this movie.

SoftSword
2nd August 2013, 10:03 PM
thats no surprise & no arguments too :notworthy:

joe
2nd August 2013, 10:10 PM
u mean the setup/people/dialects not being authentic as pretending?
Yes Soft.
I think , I better stop here ..May be i expected much .. I like danush .. Vasanam Joe D'Cruz -grathu also made me expect more ..but no scope ,nothing impressive .
As someone grown up in the same environment , I find nothing appealing . Dot.

balaajee
3rd August 2013, 03:07 AM
okay... recalling one interesting scene when mariyaan calls panimalar when the terrorboys think he is talking to his company...
i was wondering if it was too smart for mariyaan to plan that and deceive those guys but the sequence finished well when he got carried away with emotions and started kissing her only to get caught.. those microseconds when he shows those reactions when he thinks that he may not make it ever to kiss her again and so it is worth getting beaten and goes ahead doing it...
beautiful..

good that dhanush did not overperform in that scene when he was context switching lik anniyan climax vikram..

It comes in second half....Joe haven't watched second half....

Brianengab
3rd August 2013, 02:26 PM

+1..i liked tis scene very much.. the way he delivers the dialogue #epic... "aama saar...adikkiraanga saar.." :bow:

gane14
3rd August 2013, 07:55 PM
Watched it.

Dhanush, Parvathi and RAHMAN :thumbsup:

balaajee
5th August 2013, 05:00 PM
Dhanush gives Hindi diction tips to Bharat

Tamil actor Bharat is debuting in Bollywood with "Jackpot" and says Dhanush gave him Hindi lessons.
Tamil star Dhanush entered the Hindi film industry with "Raanjhanaa", which was well-received at the box office.
Bharat told IANS: "Yes, I did speak to Dhanush. We both started our career together in 2002. He is a fabulous actor and with 'Raanjhanaa', he has proved himself again. He has given me some tips on Hindi diction - he has asked me to read my lines carefully before going for takes."
Bharat started his acting career with Tamil film boys "Boys" and later impressed with his performances in films like "Chellamae", "Kaadhal", and "Pattiyal".
Read Story: Dhanush wants to do more Bollywood films, learning Hindi

Bharat, who is debuting with Indo-Canadian adult star Sunny Leone in "Jackpot", says it was a wonderful experience to share the screen space with her.
He said: "It's a huge break for me in Bollywood and I was all the more exited to share the screen space with Sunny Leone. She is a wonderful human being."
Directed by Kaizad Gustad, "Jackpot" also features Sachin Joshi and Naseeruddin Shah, among others.

mappi
20th August 2013, 03:51 PM
Maryan (Tamil : 2013 : 2h30m)

Written & Directed by Bharat Bala
Music : A R Rahman
Cinematography : Marc Koninckx
Editing : Vivek Harshan

Banner Aascar Films

Starring : Danush, Parvathi Menon & songs

Shakespeare's Macbeth Act I, Sc. VII "I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more is none". I felt the movie is positioned on these lines and if you have come across lectures on Shakespeare or read his works (researched a bit too), the film would become an instant Epic. I tell that only to those who are interested to look at the film design. For general audience, I am coming up with a sort of explanations rather than a review or a kind of reply to most of your views, which may have or had an effect on me too.

Let’s jump straight to the point by skipping the synopsis, as we all know Mariyan is a fisherman whose hobbies are to sit flat on the bed of sea, kicking "slipper-fetish" bad guy, rejecting and then falling in love, making drunken proposals, changing carrier, phone-kissing, getting kidnapped, uttering threatening punch dialogues in Tamil to an African national who hardly speaks English and participating in a final dual.

If you look closely all are his hobbies rather than anything weighing in his life. His attitude stays unbothered. An Aloof Character or that’s what I saw. Let me start by saying that this unconventional characterization serves as a key to open the doors of detachment within the audience.

Mariyan has some smart scenes, eye-catching visuals, lovely songs, good camera work (spl. mention to the Church which was quite beautifully pictured) etc., Bharat Bala was the one who extracted the purity from our Flag be it wrt. color or simplicity and showed it beautifully in various locations, so no doubt on Mariyan’s technical side be it tone, location, editing etc. But whether it held our attention or whether it is an overdose of "wonderfully-beautiful" visuals is the major question. The movie seems to be lengthy because of its disengaging scene portions. The scenes start off quite promisingly, but somewhere in between, you lose interest and tend to get a dragging effect. A single grain : Even though the Jagan & Danush "virtual-meal" eating scene started off with a “wide-eyed-attention”, but before Danush drinks "virtual-water" it had already dropped and we were suddenly seeming to be waiting for an "escape-action", instead we get to see Danush "virtual-smoking" and sharing it with Jagan that too accompanied by a (2nd time) marketing-type-lecture for his region's cigars! Similarly, a girl in the process of getting raped uttering furious dialogues were farfetched which turns the intact love (portrayed thru excellent Phone Kissings) into a normal fare. So each scene has its minus hidden within, be it the sea-shore romance or stranded in the desert, god-only-knows-why-Cheetah-scene or captive under the villain groups.

Acting : Performer is Danush or Danush is Performer. Even though I take digs at him using Sullan - Sullan will forever stay to be my all-time favorite afternoon movie – his performance (at some moments) were eye-popping just like the way he does. I did have some problem with his inconsistent acting, maybe it’s mainly because of the characterization. To be seen whether a jury not on drugs see it too. (On "Kamal-Comparison", I will talk about it some other time). Spl. mention for the make up for Danush-In-Africa, quite a real untrimmed-mustache which is believable for the role he is playing.

I had problems with the casting of heroine, I just felt she does not fit in - quite mature, smart, punctual, those calm stares etc., maybe can be viewed as a expressive actress but does not suit the role she is playing. I felt like she tried to give an "Angamma" act. So no comments on her performance, no point there if I had already judged her presence differently.

Music : For me, songs were stoppers. I prefer hearing them rather than watching the lousy 'romantic" visualization. Or atleast I was quite distracted and failed to pay attention to the music/lyrics/emotions with the visuals. For that most of ARR songs do that to me. I would blame it on over fineness. During certain parts the bgm was good, but at most parts it was too loud (not in volume but in emotion). Other than that an usual ARR affair (ARR Dictionary meaning : "Usual" = "Extraordinary"]

Direction : I felt that Bharat Bala has come out decently. I am glad that just for the sake of it he did not make it a tragedy. But you could see the egoistic nature in the direction. For example spending time to show Danush's Throat just to prove that "I have thought about it too" is far too much and puts a big exclamation "yenna ya indha allu". The handling of the villains were not tight (clue : thats not the vision of the story, but still taking into account the interest of the audience). Towards the climax after the desert running when you see the sea, you get an immense feeling and tend to foresee a victory already - thanks to the impressive presentation of the heroes forte in the beginning - that was excellent. But the rhythm of detachment follows in these scenes too, making the movie climax even more normal. Only Bala Possible : hide in the water - pull the villan straight to the bed of the sea - sit on him (just like the intro fishing scene) - End Card "Film by Bala" - lights on - [no sound made by the audience while going out of the hall => EPIC].

This brief post emphasizes on the missing crispness in the narration, intentional emotional scenes, voluntary violence & forced musical. But thats typical the enthusiasm of the film maker, those which can be eaisly heard and wiped out. For the rest of the real aspects, the film projects to be a concentrated attempt and has all the potential to reveal much much more for those wishing to dilute it. So, I would like to rest my favor for the film by camping with people favoring the movie.

Thus, Mariyan is fitted with all the spares looked upon by each viewer, and no wonder it received diverse reviews. The audience were more impacted by the "perfectionist" try by Bharat Bala which had diluted the positive aspects of the film.

Mariyaan : Mortal

PARAMASHIVAN
20th August 2013, 04:04 PM
Seen about 30 mins of the movie! Brilliant so far! :thumbsup:

NOV
20th August 2013, 06:40 PM
This brief post emphasizes on the missing crispness i........... :shock: :shock: :shock:

balaajee
22nd August 2013, 02:53 PM
Maryan (Tamil : 2013 : 2h30m)

Written & Directed by Bharat Bala
Music : A R Rahman
Cinematography : Marc Koninckx
Editing : Vivek Harshan

Banner Aascar Films

Starring : Danush, Parvathi Menon & songs

Shakespeare's Macbeth Act I, Sc. VII "I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more is none". I felt the movie is positioned on these lines and if you have come across lectures on Shakespeare or read his works (researched a bit too), the film would become an instant Epic. I tell that only to those who are interested to look at the film design. For general audience, I am coming up with a sort of explanations rather than a review or a kind of reply to most of your views, which may have or had an effect on me too.

Let’s jump straight to the point by skipping the synopsis, as we all know Mariyan is a fisherman whose hobbies are to sit flat on the bed of sea, kicking "slipper-fetish" bad guy, rejecting and then falling in love, making drunken proposals, changing carrier, phone-kissing, getting kidnapped, uttering threatening punch dialogues in Tamil to an African national who hardly speaks English and participating in a final dual.

If you look closely all are his hobbies rather than anything weighing in his life. His attitude stays unbothered. An Aloof Character or that’s what I saw. Let me start by saying that this unconventional characterization serves as a key to open the doors of detachment within the audience.

Mariyan has some smart scenes, eye-catching visuals, lovely songs, good camera work (spl. mention to the Church which was quite beautifully pictured) etc., Bharat Bala was the one who extracted the purity from our Flag be it wrt. color or simplicity and showed it beautifully in various locations, so no doubt on Mariyan’s technical side be it tone, location, editing etc. But whether it held our attention or whether it is an overdose of "wonderfully-beautiful" visuals is the major question. The movie seems to be lengthy because of its disengaging scene portions. The scenes start off quite promisingly, but somewhere in between, you lose interest and tend to get a dragging effect. A single grain : Even though the Jagan & Danush "virtual-meal" eating scene started off with a “wide-eyed-attention”, but before Danush drinks "virtual-water" it had already dropped and we were suddenly seeming to be waiting for an "escape-action", instead we get to see Danush "virtual-smoking" and sharing it with Jagan that too accompanied by a (2nd time) marketing-type-lecture for his region's cigars! Similarly, a girl in the process of getting raped uttering furious dialogues were farfetched which turns the intact love (portrayed thru excellent Phone Kissings) into a normal fare. So each scene has its minus hidden within, be it the sea-shore romance or stranded in the desert, god-only-knows-why-Cheetah-scene or captive under the villain groups.

Acting : Performer is Danush or Danush is Performer. Even though I take digs at him using Sullan - Sullan will forever stay to be my all-time favorite afternoon movie – his performance (at some moments) were eye-popping just like the way he does. I did have some problem with his inconsistent acting, maybe it’s mainly because of the characterization. To be seen whether a jury not on drugs see it too. (On "Kamal-Comparison", I will talk about it some other time). Spl. mention for the make up for Danush-In-Africa, quite a real untrimmed-mustache which is believable for the role he is playing.

I had problems with the casting of heroine, I just felt she does not fit in - quite mature, smart, punctual, those calm stares etc., maybe can be viewed as a expressive actress but does not suit the role she is playing. I felt like she tried to give an "Angamma" act. So no comments on her performance, no point there if I had already judged her presence differently.

Music : For me, songs were stoppers. I prefer hearing them rather than watching the lousy 'romantic" visualization. Or atleast I was quite distracted and failed to pay attention to the music/lyrics/emotions with the visuals. For that most of ARR songs do that to me. I would blame it on over fineness. During certain parts the bgm was good, but at most parts it was too loud (not in volume but in emotion). Other than that an usual ARR affair (ARR Dictionary meaning : "Usual" = "Extraordinary"]

Direction : I felt that Bharat Bala has come out decently. I am glad that just for the sake of it he did not make it a tragedy. But you could see the egoistic nature in the direction. For example spending time to show Danush's Throat just to prove that "I have thought about it too" is far too much and puts a big exclamation "yenna ya indha allu". The handling of the villains were not tight (clue : thats not the vision of the story, but still taking into account the interest of the audience). Towards the climax after the desert running when you see the sea, you get an immense feeling and tend to foresee a victory already - thanks to the impressive presentation of the heroes forte in the beginning - that was excellent. But the rhythm of detachment follows in these scenes too, making the movie climax even more normal. Only Bala Possible : hide in the water - pull the villan straight to the bed of the sea - sit on him (just like the intro fishing scene) - End Card "Film by Bala" - lights on - [no sound made by the audience while going out of the hall => EPIC].

This brief post emphasizes on the missing crispness in the narration, intentional emotional scenes, voluntary violence & forced musical. But thats typical the enthusiasm of the film maker, those which can be eaisly heard and wiped out. For the rest of the real aspects, the film projects to be a concentrated attempt and has all the potential to reveal much much more for those wishing to dilute it. So, I would like to rest my favor for the film by camping with people favoring the movie.

Thus, Mariyan is fitted with all the spares looked upon by each viewer, and no wonder it received diverse reviews. The audience were more impacted by the "perfectionist" try by Bharat Bala which had diluted the positive aspects of the film.

Mariyaan : Mortal

Had you seen - So weit die Füße tragen (2001) - IMDb (http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imdb.com%2Ftitle%2Ftt0277327% 2F&ei=F9gVUt3zLMeSrgea64H4Ag&usg=AFQjCNH7cn6stuBP2wLSERdbCbeMW2yY6g&sig2=bXlNKnS0NKpj3w4XMzuJUw&bvm=bv.51156542,d.bmk) ?

mappi
22nd August 2013, 03:11 PM
Yes, I have watched As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me.
oh! are you going to compare the snow with sand ?

balaajee
22nd August 2013, 03:38 PM
Yes, I have watched As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me.
oh! are you going to compare the snow with sand ?

I couldn't get any feel from sand...thats it...

mappi
22nd August 2013, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I follow what you say.

Actually 'As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me' has so many sub-plots with measured emotions under the war-post war conditions. The violence was real and mental agony the "hero" undergoes is dimensional and could be easily associated with.

Whereas, as pointed out : Mariyan has only Love for backup (mode used=songs), and the detachement follows us closely while we are trying to follow Danush in the desert, include "intentional emotional scenes & voluntary violence" poses to be an unnecessary burden which actually should have been more engaging.

VinodKumar's
22nd August 2013, 06:53 PM
Pona weekend paathaen (theater la). Parvathi :slurp: aana intha ponnu sila scenes thevaiku athigama nadicha maari irunthuchu.. Dhanush best actor award ku nomination pottachu..vazhthukkal.

geno
29th December 2013, 02:44 PM
Hehe.. Wonder why he didn't employ the services of his first food, first kiss, first love for the movies he produced, if not for the movies he acted. :)

கண்ணீர் விட்ட கார்த்திக் ராஜா ,கைகொடுத்த மலேசிய மக்கள்

http://cinema.dinamalar.com//tamil-news/16346/cinema/Kollywood/Rajas-Music-function-in-Malaysia.htm

"............................
இதை அடுத்து பேசிய கார்த்திக், இந்த மேடை அப்பா இல்லாமல் வெறுமையாக இருக்கு, நான் இதை ஒத்துக்குறேன் , இங்க இல்லனாலும் ,அவங்க மனசு முழுக்க இங்க தான் இருக்கு , ஆஸ்பத்திரியில் சேர்த்தபோது ஷோவுக்கு போய்டனும்பா, என்று பலமுறை சொன்னார், இபோதைக்கு அப்பாவை ரீ- பிளேஸ் பண்ண முடியாது, அதனால் எங்களால் முடிந்ததை கொடுக்கிறோம் என்றார்.

தொடர்ந்து ஹரி சரண் மற்றும் குழுவினர் ராஜா சார் வணங்கும் அண்ணாமலையார் பாடல் ஒம் சிவ ஓம் என்று அரங்கம் அதிர பாடினார், இதை அடுத்து நடிகை சுகாசினி மேடைக்கு வந்தார் , தான் ராஜாவின் ரசிகை , உடல் முழுக்க அவர் ரத்தம் தான் ஓடுறது என்றார் , நிகழ்ச்சியை தொகுத்து வழங்கினார் , இதை தொடர்ந்து தன் அம்மாவிற்காக கார்த்திக் ,யுவன் ,பவதாரிணி, அம்மா என்று அழைக்காத உயிர் இல்லையே பாடலை பாடினர். [/QUOTE=Suhaasini manirathnam]

நிகழ்ச்சில அடுத்து பேசிய சுஹாசினி , எனக்கு குழந்தை பிறக்கும் முன் தங்க காப்பு அம்மா தான் போட்டாங்க. ஆனா தங்கம் மாதிரி 3 குழந்தைகள கொடுத்திருக்காங்க, நீங்க சொலுங்க அம்மா பத்தி என்றதும்..."

அடடா! இவங்க நினைச்சிருந்தா தன்னோட ரத்தத்துல கொஞ்சம் கசியவிட்டு புருசனை ராஜா இசையை பயன்படுத்த வச்சிருக்கலாமே!

ஏன் இந்த அம்மையார் எடுத்த / தயாரித்து இயக்கி - தன் தங்கையை நடிக்க வைத்த "இந்திரா" வில் இளையராஜாவின் இசையை சேர்க்கலை?!!!

ஹிஹிஹிஹிஹிஹி!