PDA

View Full Version : MAESTRO ILAIYARAAJA NEWS & TITBITS VER.2010-2011

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

raj_musing
6th February 2011, 09:36 PM
Never knew that kalpana was a playback singer. No wonder she has sung that song with so much ease..

app_engine
6th February 2011, 09:57 PM
Thank you raj_musing for the excellent links, I've posted my observations on "last song heard" thread:-)

If Kalpana is a PB singer, should she be taking part in such competitions? Confusing...IMO, she should be screened off in competitions for amateurs as techincally she has already turned into a professional.

In any case, "kavidhai kELungaL" is a fantastic performance!

V_S
6th February 2011, 11:17 PM
Yes a_e, that was my doubt too, why she is participating in that event, as she is already a PB singer. May be she wants to showcase her talent in kerala, so that she gets recognition/chances there as well, just my thought. Kavithai Kelungal is a fantastic performance indeed.

Sureshs65
7th February 2011, 12:02 AM
Not only Kalpana but I also remember seeing another playback singer, Sangeetha, participating in the selections round and getting selected. She is the one who has sung 'odathandil' from 'Pazhassi Raja'. Don't know what AsiaNet's policy is in these matters.

Plum
7th February 2011, 08:23 AM
Is she actually competing? This programme has a history of getting past participants and othwrs to provide support in a particu

V_S
7th February 2011, 08:33 AM
Yes, she was even given marks by the three judges and the guest judge (which happen to be another Kalpana, actress :smile:). Sarath and Chitra even mentioned few points about her singing. May be you are referring to the fourth guest judge being a past participant? Ore confusing pa :lol:

raj_musing
7th February 2011, 07:14 PM
The program had a couple of other play back singers...Though I don't watch this regularly,I remember the initial episodes where a few of them were introduced on stage as playback singers...Not sure if they are eliminated now :)
Anyway ISS season 5 will be the last of its kind as IDEA wants to withraw now ; as the popularity of this program has come down due to its monotonous format and presentation...So we may not see this program next year or perhaps we can expect a show in a completely different format...

However not to miss the "Ilayaraja hits" round, in the coming days as the judges definitely will have more tidbits to share...

SVN
7th February 2011, 08:22 PM
While one may argue that Kalpana has sung for films and hence should not be considered for this singing contest, we have to also consider her relative 'position'. She is not an established singer by any means, has only sung a couple of (insignificant) numbers. This is probably her attempt at breaking into the mainstream and gaining acceptance in the Malayalam film industry. For a change, let's have a Tamil singer cross over to Kerala! Her rendition of Kavithai KeLungaL in this episode was nothing but spectacular. The judges I thought were much too conservative in their ratings! I thought it was a near perfect, live rendition of a very difficult song. Looking forward to her other numbers.

PS: Last year's Indian Idol winner Sreeramachandra Mynampati from Hyderabad had already sung for a couple of (insignificant) Telugu numbers before he entered the contest.

raj_musing
7th February 2011, 10:52 PM
Interesting info on polyrythmic arrangements and the songs using it:-Ravi is providing a lot of insights into the technical aspects of the composition!

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html

raj_musing
7th February 2011, 10:57 PM
Also I was carried away by this post in that forum:-

I do not do any fusion work. Fusion implies that you are mixing two things. I see my music (Indian) in your music (Western)
-Ilayaraja to Paul Lyman

Wonderful and only a true genius can talk in this way!

crvenky
8th February 2011, 10:25 AM
A snippet:
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2011/feb/070211c.asp

raagas
8th February 2011, 03:01 PM
A snippet:
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2011/feb/070211c.asp

Can you please write what it is about.

raajarasigan
8th February 2011, 04:04 PM
raagas,

during malabar gold shooting, the atmosphere was very calm since our ayya was there on the spot. But few people who were NOT aware of ayya was speaking as usual. One wood worker was shouting like R.D.Burman, R:D.Burman: When IR heard this, he was surprised that the wood worker knew about maestro R.D.Burman and subsequently asked the director Krishna (five star fame, Dhanush's brother in Thiruda Thirudi) to call that guy. Krishna was reluctant and told IR that he did NOT say R.D. Burman but only pronounced the Art department as r.d.burman. IR LOL'ed hearing this.

thumburu
9th February 2011, 12:20 AM
Kalpana and Prasanna are sisters and daughters of actor Raghavendra [ who comes as lawyer and husband of Suhasini's mom in SindhuBhairavi ]. Kalpana judged the singers along with SPB in SPB's show "Vaanambadi" [Kalaingyar TV] for few episodes

irir123
9th February 2011, 04:09 AM
http://www.finderskeepersrecords.com/discog_fkr041.html

app_engine
9th February 2011, 07:53 AM
Impossible to pigeonhole and characterised by his own indefinable style the man is a genre in his own right.

Wow, how nicely put:-)

:clap:

raagas
9th February 2011, 12:08 PM
raajarasigan, thanks for the translation :-) it would be good if some 'sensible' journalist actually gets ilaiyaraaja to talk on RD.Burman (because Ilaiyaraaja admires his work).

KV
9th February 2011, 02:35 PM
Yup! Either that, or if I’m allowed to extend the idea, convince him into a full-fledged interview. There was a very good program called Kamalahaasyam (on Pongal I think) anchored by Crazy Mohan (screen writer/theatre artist) which featured Kamal talking about his work and inspirations, some of whom were even invited to the show. The casual, unplugged, candid, no-strings-attached mode in which the program unfolded was very enjoyable. How I wish somebody convinces Raaja into a something like this. Reverence and astonishment be left outside the door and let the man comfortably unwind and open up. Treasure trunk unlocked it’d be! I can’t think of anybody other than SPB who could do this. (We silly folks with our lofty fantasies.. sigh!)

Sureshs65
9th February 2011, 08:04 PM
Check out this kid singing 'mounamelanoyi' and SPB's comments (if you can understand Telugu). The orchestra does a nice job as well. I love this kids singing. A husky voice and she never goes off shruthi.

http://bit.ly/f97ktO

Sureshs65
9th February 2011, 09:41 PM
For the benefit of those who don't understand Telugu, SPB, in the link I had given earlier, made two references to Illayaraja.

1. SPB: "If anyone in India can compose a song like this, other than Illayaraja, I will give up singing"

2. SPB: "It was a very tough to sing and to make our own. Neither Janaki nor I put any extra sangathis. We just sang what Illayaraja told us to"

app_engine
10th February 2011, 03:57 AM
rAsA to be on visay teevee (http://chennaionline.com/tamil/cinema/news/newsitem.aspx?NEWSID=27c1b41b-b4d0-4f56-a65c-59e84cec67cd&CATEGORYNAME=TFILM)

Telecast of YSR Chennai show...

venkkiram
10th February 2011, 08:39 PM
For the benefit of those who don't understand Telugu, SPB, in the link I had given earlier, made two references to Illayaraja.

1. SPB: "If anyone in India can compose a song like this, other than Illayaraja, I will give up singing"

2. SPB: "It was a very tough to sing and to make our own. Neither Janaki nor I put any extra sangathis. We just sang what Illayaraja told us to"

Suresh, குறிப்பிட்டு இந்தப் பாடலை பாலு அப்படி சொல்ல காரணம் என்ன? அப்படியென்ன சிறப்பம்சங்கள் அந்தப் பாடலின் ஆக்கத்தில் இருக்கிறது?

NormalMan
10th February 2011, 09:55 PM
Suresh, குறிப்பிட்டு இந்தப் பாடலை பாலு அப்படி சொல்ல காரணம் என்ன? அப்படியென்ன சிறப்பம்சங்கள் அந்தப் பாடலின் ஆக்கத்தில் இருக்கிறது?

பாடலின் உயிர் - groove :-)

Sureshs65
10th February 2011, 10:22 PM

I can only guess since Balu didn't give his reasons. It definitely has to do with the melody, movement of the song (the flow), the orchestration and the sangatis in the song. Of course I can understand you being puzzled. All these are there in all the best Raja songs so why pick this up. I think we need to ask SPB that :)

app_engine
10th February 2011, 11:41 PM
எஸ் பி பி கொஞ்சம் உயர்வு நவிற்சி அணிக்காரர் :-)

அம்புட்டுத்தேன் :-)

baroque
11th February 2011, 12:25 AM
yeah..... there are some amazing pahadies Indian cinema has given.

From Khaiyyam, MSV-TKR, Ravi to IR have given zillion compositions with amazing poetry in the voices of Rafi, TMS & female singers etc.. for good situations.
but
mounamaana neram... is indeed extra special for some of us, it is sung by S.P.B.
yeah... it is extra special because of you, my dear Lover boy!
Forever romantic voice of Indian cinema.
We love you, S.P.B.

....... I will give up singing"
Come on, Bala.
You don't mean that.
aahaa...

two celestial pahadies forever fresh from 60s in distinctly different mood.
Classy.

serenity of khaiyyam saab's bahaaro mera jeevan bhi sawaaro...Lata's pahadi.
the elongations and the laid back mood of the composition-
khaiyyam saab is contemporary always.

lag ja gale ke phir hasi raat..... soulful & sexy, slow & longing Madhan mohan dhun(ponmeni thazhuvaamal..)

We love pahadi dhun
vinatha.

jaiganes
11th February 2011, 01:13 PM
Also the exchange between vocal and instruments in charanams..
The song is about two hesitant lovers sharing a moment of quiet loneliness
So the instrumental melody starts the proceedings and the words, verses sung by male and female join..
now male asks a question.. female doesnt answer it, the instrumental melody answers.. female answers it or asks the next question.
Their closeness is not absolute. there is a gap . It reflects the gap between the characters that is later revealed in the movie.. It requires a poetic mind to punctuate a song like that.. Well thought out and perfectly executed..

app_engine
11th February 2011, 06:31 PM
And the visuals for 'mounamAna nEram' - absolute, absolute treat!

The most enjoyable part is the post-bath scene where Jayapradha settles down in the living room to listen to audio!

V_S
11th February 2011, 09:27 PM
Also the exchange between vocal and instruments in charanams..
The song is about two hesitant lovers sharing a moment of quiet loneliness
So the instrumental melody starts the proceedings and the words, verses sung by male and female join..
now male asks a question.. female doesnt answer it, the instrumental melody answers.. female answers it or asks the next question.
Their closeness is not absolute. there is a gap . It reflects the gap between the characters that is later revealed in the movie.. It requires a poetic mind to punctuate a song like that.. Well thought out and perfectly executed..
Jai, that's a great answer to Venkki's question, :thumbsup: Well explained. I believe SPB's answer would be this too.
I need to listen to this song now, just with the above scenario. Thanks Sureshji for bringing up this song.

Sureshs65
11th February 2011, 09:47 PM
Lovely take on the song Jai. I never though of it that till now but now it is so logical. From what I saw in the video SPB was enjoying the melody and orchestration more. So I think even he would appreciate this POV. :) The fact is that you think you have analyzed Raja's music from all angles and something new comes up :)

baroque
12th February 2011, 12:34 AM
beautiful job, Jai.
I treated my senses to the 80s IR jewel couple of more times.
love, vinatha.

K
12th February 2011, 02:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOzeMoJkurw&feature=player_embedded

Raja Speaks

rajkumarc
12th February 2011, 03:05 AM
Didn't realize Mounamana Neram had such depth and thinking behind it, especially the association with primary characters. Thanks Jai for your post.

App - The scene you mentioned is my most favorite part in that song. Beautifully picturized song that did full justice to the music.

app_engine
12th February 2011, 03:35 AM
In the director-40 video I saw IR too picking out this song when he addresses the Telugu directors (and what a nice response from them also - getting up, acknowledging the praises etc, showing nice honor to IR).

K
13th February 2011, 05:13 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2011/02/ilayaraja-hires-hungerian-archestra-azhagasamiyin-aid0136.html

Once Again Hungarian Musicians

ramk1
13th February 2011, 05:23 PM
For a music lover, using Hungarian musicians may be a feast, but i doubt the market success of such a venture. Let us hope this movie breaks the jinx. This is the only high profile movie that IR has got in recent times.

app_engine
13th February 2011, 06:05 PM
Let us hope this movie breaks the jinx. This is the only high profile movie that IR has got in recent times.

1. pazhassi rAjA already broke than "jinx". So, fear not :-)

2. AK is hardly a "high profile" movie (i.e. compared to PR / pA). Actually it's a low-cost-quick-prod by Gautam Menon (much like Shankar doing low-cost movies with Balaji Saktivel & others)

fan_ir
14th February 2011, 12:47 AM
Folks,

Why are we bothering about High/Low-profile movies. Didn't he give his best in the 80's(still he is)with all the crappyness around? Let him use musicians from Hungary or from India. For me what matters is the output and his recent works are emotionally overwhelming. Lack of original musicians in India is worrying factor for the people who use them ,Isn't?

Sureshs65
14th February 2011, 09:45 AM
fan_ir,

Very true. When you get some great musicians from Hungary or whatever, will that not solve the 'synthesizer' problem which everyone cribs about. And as a_e mentions, this movie can hardly be called high profile. And btw, a_e, even 'Paa' had musicians from Hungary and the music was lovely and well appreciated by everyone.

sureshmehcnit
14th February 2011, 06:17 PM
Love and Love Only - An extended analysis on Kaadhalukku Mariyaadhai background score

http://www.backgroundscore.com/2011/02/listening-to-kaadhalukku-mariyaadhai.html

Fliflo
14th February 2011, 09:04 PM
An award from TN Govt

http://www.nakkheeran.in/Users/frmGallery.aspx?G=11551&GS=4&GV=635

raj_musing
15th February 2011, 10:11 AM
Interview with raja and I believe few song clippings from "Padithurai" are shown here??

http://7swara.blogspot.com/2011/02/illayaraja-interview-padithurai.html

app_engine
15th February 2011, 10:12 AM
MV critical, in hospital :-(

vssathish
15th February 2011, 03:15 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/events/25657.html

See Susi interview

MumbaiRamki
15th February 2011, 04:54 PM
MV is msv ?

vssathish
15th February 2011, 05:11 PM
MV - Malaysia vasudevan

krish244
15th February 2011, 07:42 PM
http://entertainment.oneindia.in/tamil/exclusive/2011/vijay-roped-ponniyin-selvan-150211-aid0017.html

"However, Ilaiyaraaja is scoring the music for the film"

This site converts the rumour to news. It reminds me of the vadivelu joke "maapillai velli sombu kuduthadhan thaali kattuvaaram" :)

thanks,

Krishnan

SVN
15th February 2011, 08:11 PM
Vijay as VandiyathEvan!!! Enna Kodulai saar idhu?
This fellow can't speak any dialect of Tamil, forget chaste Tamil! Can't pronounce half the alphabets, and like some of his colleagues, can't differentiate between ல and ள, ன and ண! The legendary creator of this classic, 'Kalki' will turn over in his grave!

Names like பழுவேட்டரையர், வடதிசை மாதண்ட நாயகர் will be butchered! Sample this... "பலு வேட்ராயர் ங்ணா, டும்பன்காரி என்ன சொல்றாங்கண்ணா"!

At least one would imagine someone like Surya (with some intense Tamil training from his dad) fitting the bill to a certain extent!

I hope these rumours remain rumours!

ravi_737
15th February 2011, 11:28 PM
SVN,

Agree with you on vijay. I never managed to complete the first chapter of PS. never learnt tamizh formally and hence PS was too much for me.
Back to the topic. I really doubt if Maniratam would be the right choice to direct this movie. we all know his knowledge of Tamizh. He might be able to bring
in the actors and the producers but i doubt if he can really make an authentic tamizh periodic movie. Maybe someone else would write the script and dialogues.. but still..

If MR makes this movie the way he usually makes ... then its better he doesnt touch PS..... i hope he doesnt make a Raavanan out of PS.

I can think of Kamalhasan as an apt director to make PS.

my half cents :) !!!

Regards,
Ravi

skr
16th February 2011, 12:31 PM
Maestro at the B'day celebrations of Actor Mohan Babu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4hwEb-k4jw

Check out Maestro paying tribute to Mozart and also playing the Instrumental version of Thumbi Vaa
At the beginning of the video are encomiums showered on the Maestro..
Can Sureshji or anyone else translate as to what is being spoken here ??

vel
16th February 2011, 03:55 PM
eksi !!

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2011/02/16-ilayaraja-ar-rahman-join-hands-manirathnam-aid0136.html

raagas
16th February 2011, 04:45 PM
eksi !!

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2011/02/16-ilayaraja-ar-rahman-join-hands-manirathnam-aid0136.html

W-H-O-A!!!! But I think this is a rumour! Or is it true?

raajarasigan
16th February 2011, 07:53 PM
Ilayaraja back in Mani Rathnam’s camp
Feb 16, 2011

Mani Rathnam’s period flick, adapted from the popular novel Ponniyin Selvan, is soon to start rolling. The announcement of this project itself has stirred a lot of interest among the movie buffs particularly regarding the lead cast and the crew.

Music has played a pivotal role in all of Mani Rathnam’s films and there were a lot of speculations on who will score the music for this movie. With AR Rahman busy concentrating in international projects, Mani seems to have decided to revert his attention to his yet another favorite music composer Ilayaraja. It now looks like the maestro will compose the music for his historical extravaganza.

Sureshs65
16th February 2011, 10:08 PM
The truth is that the news about Ponniyin Selvan movie has more twists and turns that the actual Ponniyin Selvan of Kalki :) I am not believing anything until the film actually goes to the floors.

app_engine
16th February 2011, 10:27 PM
Sometime back I started a thread in TF section on PS. There were some objections initially as to "do we need a thread simply based on a rumor" etc (as if all threads were discussing only "matter of facts").

In any case, that's still active - initially some of us discussed about the story / who will fit what role etc, nowadays, it's primarily discussing such suspenses :-) As suspenseful as TN election koottaNi discussions :-)

IMO, IR working with MR is definitely welcome (the track record is simply too good to ignore).

The "lakh-crore" question is whether it will happen? (smaller amounts have become meaningless thanks to auditor general's office)

Fliflo
16th February 2011, 11:44 PM
It is more appropriate if the title sounds as "Mani Ratnam in Ilayaraja's camp" because the former is the one looking for the latter and not the other way.

Ilayaraja back in Mani Rathnam’s camp

Feb 16, 2011

Mani Rathnam’s period flick, adapted from the popular novel Ponniyin Selvan, is soon to start rolling. The announcement of this project itself has stirred a lot of interest among the movie buffs particularly regarding the lead cast and the crew.

Music has played a pivotal role in all of Mani Rathnam’s films and there were a lot of speculations on who will score the music for this movie. With AR Rahman busy concentrating in international projects, Mani seems to have decided to revert his attention to his yet another favorite music composer Ilayaraja. It now looks like the maestro will compose the music for his historical extravaganza.

Renault
17th February 2011, 04:28 AM
It is more appropriate if the title sounds as "Mani Ratnam in Ilayaraja's camp" because the former is the one looking for the latter and not the other way.

Well said... very true!!!!

raagas
17th February 2011, 11:53 AM
The truth is that the news about Ponniyin Selvan movie has more twists and turns that the actual Ponniyin Selvan of Kalki :) I am not believing anything until the film actually goes to the floors.

I would go a bit further. I will not believe it till the film is complete and songs are ready for release (if both, IR and MR dont change their minds that is) and actually release.

ravi_737
17th February 2011, 01:13 PM
I hope its not IR

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/news/2011/02/17-popular-tamil-music-director-meets-rajapaksa-aid0136.html

raja_fan
17th February 2011, 01:59 PM
What's wrong in meeting Rajapakse ?

raajarasigan
17th February 2011, 02:22 PM
raja_fan, in the article, it is NOT mentioned as IR meeting Rajpakse. The post itself is irrelevant to this thread. There is absolutely nothing to discuss here on this.

fan_ir
17th February 2011, 04:31 PM
Coming soon - Mudhalvar Mahatma

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=TOICH/2011/02/17/29/Img/Pg029_60.png

http://tamil.galatta.com/entertainment/livewire/id/Mudhalvar_Mahatma_coming_soon_47075.html

K
17th February 2011, 04:55 PM
I hope its not IR

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/news/2011/02/17-popular-tamil-music-director-meets-rajapaksa-aid0136.html

that was Gangai Amaran and Son was Venkat Prabu?

K
17th February 2011, 04:56 PM
raja_fan, in the article, it is NOT mentioned as IR meeting Rajpakse. The post itself is irrelevant to this thread. There is absolutely nothing to discuss here on this.

yes that's true

Fliflo
17th February 2011, 08:46 PM
Athu yaru antha singer?? Kuzhappama Irukke!

http://cinema.nakkheeran.in/Talkies.aspx?T=856

ravi_737
17th February 2011, 11:57 PM
I just dont want him to get into a controversy. nothing more or nothing less.

app_engine
18th February 2011, 11:42 PM
http://kirukaninkirukals.blogspot.com/2011/02/2.html

ஆனந்தி.. (http://www.blogger.com/profile/02890158870697603533) said...
//எட்டிபார்க்க காதில் இளையராஜரின் பாடல் கேட்க //

Excuse me..Is this koormathi's blog??? :-)))

தம்பி கூர்மதியன் (http://www.blogger.com/profile/07692490314387836113) said...
//Excuse me..Is this koormathi's blog??? :-)))//

எஸ்.. எஸ்.. என்னதான் ராஜாவ நான் குறை சொன்னாலும் என் கம்ப்யூட்டர்ல வெறும் இளையராஜா பாட்டாதானே இருக்கு.. கேக்குறது, பாடுறதுன்னு எல்லாமே அதிகமா ராஜா பாட்டா இருக்குறதால எழுதும்போது தானா அவர் பேரு வந்திடுச்சு.. இப்பவும் சொல்றன் எனக்கு ராஜாவ பிடிக்காது.. அவர் திறமைய பிடிக்கும்..

:lol:

app_engine
18th February 2011, 11:51 PM
Raja is mostly smart when dealing with political figures (http://thiru2050.blogspot.com/2011/02/good-period-of-poormen-is-golden-period.html)

விழாவில் எம்.எஸ்.சுப்புலட்சுமி விருதைப் பெற்று ஏற்புரை ஆற்றிய இசையமைப்பாளர் இளையராஜா, "நான் இங்கு விருது வாங்குவதற்காகதான் வந்திருக்கிறேன். பேச வரவில்லை. இந்த விருதைப் பற்றி என்ன சொல்ல, என்றவர், ""காற்றினிலே வரும் கீதம்..'' என்ற எம்.எஸ்.சுப்புலட்சுமியின் பிரபல பாடலைப் பாடி உரையை நிறைவு செய்தார்

நல்ல வேளை, தப்பிச்சோம் :-)

tvsankar
19th February 2011, 12:33 AM
Raja is mostly smart when dealing with political figures (http://thiru2050.blogspot.com/2011/02/good-period-of-poormen-is-golden-period.html)

நல்ல வேளை, தப்பிச்சோம் :-)

Raja - ithanai varushama - Manushangaloda manasai kathundar.. adharkaga React panninar............

Ipo dhan - Manushanglai kathukarar. tats all............ idhanaae venum...........

its my feelings..

San_K
20th February 2011, 12:47 AM
Phantom Planet-California (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyKh5piFMEI&feature=related)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyKh5piFMEI&feature=related

Inspired by Ilayaraja's Madai Thiranthu

jaiganes
20th February 2011, 03:37 AM
Phantom Planet-California (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyKh5piFMEI&feature=related)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyKh5piFMEI&feature=related

Inspired by Ilayaraja's Madai Thiranthu

pallavi modhal bittai vache ipdi potrukkaaingale, charanam interlude idhellaam saethu oru 10 15 paattu easyaa poatralaam pola irukke

Punnaimaran
20th February 2011, 02:32 PM
Malaysia Vasudevan passed away. May his soul RIP.

raja_fan
20th February 2011, 02:49 PM
So sad to hear that MV has passed away ! After Swarnalatha's demise, one more shocker :((

raja_fan
20th February 2011, 02:51 PM
Friends,

Some updates from a very reliable source :

Mani Ratnam's "Ponniyin Selvan" will start by September this year. Music will be by MR's regular, NOT IR :(

So let all rumours rest in peace !

skr
20th February 2011, 04:24 PM
Will miss the melifluous and resonating voice of Malaysia Vasudevan.May his soul RIP..
Remembering one of the evergreen hits of TFM - Kodai Kala Katre from Panneer Pushpangal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9-7_rW9H28

San_K
20th February 2011, 06:05 PM
Two of my fav MV songs

Oru Thanga Rathathil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv9m4BG20-8

1000 MalargalE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7lOTkirpmo&feature=related

baroque
21st February 2011, 01:21 AM
Friends,

Some updates from a very reliable source :

Mani Ratnam's "Ponniyin Selvan" will start by September this year. Music will be by MR's regular, NOT IR :(

So let all rumours rest in peace !

A.R.Rahman always wins our hearts with his classic touch in period, historic movies.
iruvar, lagaan,Bose the forgotten hero,zubeidaa , jodha akbar, 1947 earth etc...ONE of A.R.Rahman's purpose in this planet is to compose music for period, historic movies.

சரி...அப்படின்னா, கவிஞர் வைரமுத்து is in the project .
See...எல்லாமே நல்லத்துக்குத்தான் நடக்கும்.
work on the கவிதைகள்,அய்யா. Until then I revisit வில்லோடு வா நிலவே .
வினதா.

app_engine
21st February 2011, 07:12 AM
Sad to know that MV has passed away :-(

Deep condolences.

skr
21st February 2011, 12:59 PM
Late last night,got down picking my top 10 favourite Malaysia Vasudevan songs and also writing a bit about the same.Incidentally all are in Maestro's music.
It was tough to zero in on just 10 out of such a massive ouvere but i feel these are songs closest to my heart..
Pls take a look and give your valuable comments..
http://tuningmymelody.blogspot.com/2011/02/remembering-legend-malaysia-vasudevan.html

Punnaimaran
21st February 2011, 02:33 PM
சட்டென்று எனக்குத் தோன்றிய பாடல்கள்

ஆகாய கங்கை
ஒரு தங்கரத்தில்
கோடைகால காற்றே
பூங்காற்று திரும்புமா
ஏய் குருவி
நீங்காத எண்ணம் ஒன்று
ஆசை நெஞ்சின் கனவுகள்
ஆசை நூறு வகை
ஊரு விட்டு ஊரு வந்து
சுகம் சுகமே
காதல் வைபோகமே
காதல் சொர்க்கம் அங்கங்கே
ஆயிரம் மலர்களே
அள்ளித் தந்த பூமி
பூவே நீ யார் சொல்லி யாருக்காக
இந்த மின்மினிக்கு
பனி விழும் பூ நிலவில்
தண்ணி கறுத்திருக்கு
மலர்களே இதோ இதோ
மலர்களிலே ஆராதனை
வா வா வசந்தமே
கோவில் மணி ஓசை
வானம் என்ன கீழிருக்கு
மலயோரம் மயிலே
ஆழக்கடலில் தேடிய முத்து

மூன்று நாங்கு பாடல்களைத் தவிர்த்து அனைத்தும் இளையராசாவின் இசையிலே தான்.

Sureshs65
21st February 2011, 06:35 PM
It is sad to hear about the demise of Malaysia Vasudevan. He is an inseparable part of the Raja of 80s. So many wonderful songs. May he rest in peace.

Kana Praba has written a nice post on Malaysia VAsudevan. Here it is:

http://radiospathy.blogspot.com/2011/02/blog-post_20.html

baroque
22nd February 2011, 04:00 AM
http://radiospathy.blogspot.com/2011/02/blog-post_20.html

rag ஹிந்தோளம்.. delight
மணிப்பூர் மாமியார்'sஆனந்தத் தேன் காற்று தாலாட்டுதே... the author is hosting.

From மா ரமணன்.....பாபநாசம் சிவன்,திருப்பரன்குன்றவேல...,ஸ்ரீ தேவி என் வாழ்வில் ...early இளையராஜா with KJY, ராமனுக்கு மன்னன் ....அருணாச்சல கவிராயர்.
Graceful & Peaceful.

கட்டி வச்சுக்கோ எந்தன் அன்பு மனச.... rhythmic இளையராஜா

வாசு,as always I celebrate you in your compositions .
Your partnership with Shri.இளையராஜா is amazing.

vinatha.

krish244
22nd February 2011, 01:54 PM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/news-interviews/Ilaiyaraajas-music-in-Mudhalvar-Mahatma/articleshow/7545710.cms

Director Balakrishnan is excited that he was able to convince Isaignani Ilaiyaraaja to work on his film, Mudhalvar Mahatma. He says, "Raja sir has worked with me on Periyar earlier.

"When I approached him this time, he said he'd like to see the film first before deciding if he'd want to work on it. After he saw the movie, he gladly agreed. He even got Bollywood veteran Uttam Singh to work with him on the scores.

"This was because he wanted the tunes to meet the needs of the Bollywood audiences too as this film will release in Hindi as well. He has scored eight small numbers (kurumpadalgal) for this film."

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
22nd February 2011, 02:01 PM
Very sad to hear the demise of MV. He had a great voice and such wonderful singing. He has left us with many many wonderful renditions.

thanks,

Krishnan

raaga_kann
24th February 2011, 09:25 AM
Few of the other Raaja gems sung by MV which were not as popular as the ones you have mentioned, but very powerful composition / rendition :

Thondru Thottu (Avadharam)
Paadi Paadi Azhaithaen (Marudhupaandi)
Naan Soodum (Yen Uyir Kannamma)
Yaar Veettu (Paattukku Naan Adimai)
Poda Munivaney (Rajarishi)
Shankara Shiva (Rajarishi)
Another highlight - Raaja used him as the only male singer in a couple of films (which had 5 or more songs),

1. Maaveeran
2. Adhisaya Piravi

In Paattukku Naan Adimai, all the songs except "Thaalaattu kedkadha.." was sung by MV

naarayanan
24th February 2011, 05:31 PM
aduthathu albert also had all songs sung by mv. and one song in csj voice.

raagas
25th February 2011, 02:54 PM
Is Ponnar Shankar by Ilaiyaraaja, by any chance?
http://www.rediff.com/movies/slide-show/slide-show-1-south-prashanth-to-return-in-a-double-role/20110224.htm

MumbaiRamki
25th February 2011, 04:08 PM
Is Ponnar Shankar by Ilaiyaraaja, by any chance?
http://www.rediff.com/movies/slide-show/slide-show-1-south-prashanth-to-return-in-a-double-role/20110224.htm
Yes , by all articles in web and the interview given by Na . Muthukumar where hae had said that he wrote lyrics for a song for that movie , scored by raaja

tvsankar
25th February 2011, 10:49 PM
http://raviaditya.blogspot.com/

app_engine
25th February 2011, 11:00 PM
Old article of Asokamithran quoted here (http://beyondwords.typepad.com/beyond-words/2011/02/kaalakkannaadi.html)

Though repeat, interesting to read :

இக்கட்டுரைத் தொகுப்பில் இளையராஜாவின் எப்படிப் பெயரிட (How to Name It) கேஸட் வெளியீடு பற்றி எழுதுயிருக்கிறார். (ஏற்கனவே வேறொரு பதிவில் இருநது)
`
“இந்த ஊரில் உள்ள சங்கீத வித்வான்கள் அனைவருக்கும்தான் நான் அழைப்பு அனுப்பியிருந்தேன்” என்று இளையராஜா கூறினார். ஆனால், அவருடைய புதிய படைப்பான `எப்படிப் பெயரிட` இசைத்தட்டு வெளியீட்டு விழாவுக்கு வந்திருந்தவர்கள் அநேகமாக எல்லாருமே சினிமாத் துறையினர்தான். டி.வி.கோபால கிருஷ்ணன் ஒரு விதிவிலக்கு. ஆனால், கோபால கிருஷ்ணனையே பாதி சினிமாக்காரர் என்று நினைப்பவர்களுண்டு.
சங்கீதத் துறையினர் வரவில்லை என்றாலும் விஞ்ஞானி ராஜா ராமண்ணா நிகழ்ச்சிக்குத் தலைமைத் தாங்கி, இளையரஜாவின் மேற்கு-கிழக்கு இசை இணைப்பு முயற்சிகள் ரசமானவை; பல ஆண்டுகள் முன்பு அவரே எண்ணியிருந்த முயற்சிகள் என்றார். பழுத்த அனுபவம் மிகுந்த பியானோ நிபுணரான ஹாண்டல், இளையராஜாவிடம் அழைத்துச் சென்ற மேல்நாட்டு இசைக் கலைஞர்கள் அனைவரும் இளையராஜாவின் கிரகிப்பு ஆற்றலையும், திரைப்படக் காட்சிக்கு ஏற்றபடி நொடிப்பொழுதில் இசை அமைத்து அதை வாத்திய கோஷ்டிக்குத் தெரிவித்து ஒலிப்பதிவு செய்யும் திறமையையும் கண்டு வியந்திருக்கிறார்கள் என்றார். `எப்படிப் பெயரிட` இசை மாஸ்கோவில் நடக்கவிருக்கும் இந்திய விழாவுக்கு எடுத்துச் செல்லப் படவேண்டும் என்றார். நாற்பதாண்டுகளாக இந்தியத் திரைப்படத் துறையில் பெருமதிப்புக்குரியவராக இருந்து வரும் நெளஷாத் அவர்கள் இளையராஜாவிடம் கற்க நிறைய இருக்கிறது என்றார். இவை எல்லாம் சாதாரணமாகக் கிடைக்ககூடிய பாராட்டுகள் அல்ல.
வெறும் டியூன்கள் என்று பிரித்துப் பார்த்தோமானால் `எப்படிப் பெயரிட` இளையராஜாவின் பல முக்கிய திரைப்படங்களின் சிறப்பான இடங்களை நினைவுபடுத்தும். ஆனால் இந்தப் படைப்பின் சிறப்பம்சம் வாத்திய கோஷ்டி நிர்வகிப்பு; திரு.வி.எஸ். நரசிம்மனின் பிரதான வயலின்; சுவரூபத்தைக் கலைக்காதபடி இந்திய ராகங்களுக்கு மேலைய இசை வடிவம் தருதல். இத்திசையில் முயற்சிகள் இதுவரை செய்யப்படவே இல்லை என்று கூற முடியாது. ஐந்தாறு மாதங்கள் முன்பு ஒரு போர்ச்க்கீசிய இசைக்குழுவுடன் சென்னை வந்த வயலின் நிபுணர் எல்.சுப்பிரமணியன் இந்தியாவிலும் வெளிநாடுகளிலும் இத்தகைய முயற்சிகளை அரங்கேற்றியிருக்கிறார்.
`சங்கீதக் கனவுகள்` என்ற நூலின் ஒவ்வொரு எழுத்தும் இளையராஜாவால் எழுதப்படாமல் இருக்கலாம். இளையராஜா எழுத்தாளரல்ல. ஆனால் நூலில் கூறப்பட்டிருக்கும் அனுபவங்கள், சிந்தனைகள், உணர்வுகள் அவருடையதே என்பதைச் சந்தேகிக்க இடமில்லை. உண்மையில் இம்மாதிரி நூல்களில் இவைதான் முக்கியம். ஐரோப்பாவில் கடந்த நூற்றாண்டுகளில் வாழ்ந்த இசை மேதைகளின் இல்லங்கள் ஷேத்திரங்களாகப் பராமரிக்கப்பட்டு வரும் விசுவாசத்தைக் கண்டு மனமுருகி, `நமது நாட்டில் தியாகப்பிரும்மம் வாழ்ந்த வீட்டை எப்படி வைத்திருக்கிறார்கள் என்று பார்த்தால் சொல்வதற்கே வெட்கமாயிருக்கிறது…என்னைக் கேட்டால் தியாகையருக்குக் கோயிலையே கட்டிவிடுவேன்…நான் கேட்டால் `நீ சினிமாக்காரன்` என்பார்கள்.` என்று ஓரிடத்தில் இளையராஜா எழுதியிருக்கிறார். இப்படி அந்த நூலில் பல பொறிகள். இவ்வளவு உலக நடப்புப் பரிச்சயம் கொண்ட இளையராஜாவுக்கு அவருடைய விழாவுக்கு சங்கீதப் பிரமுகர்கள் வராதது வியப்பைத் தந்திருக்காது.

Vkrish
26th February 2011, 01:26 AM
This week "Airtel Super Singer" had Ramarajan Round :-) Judges were on full praise on IR for each of the song..
Highlight was some singers attempting rare hits of Raja..
eg: http://www.tamilrain.com/airtel-super-singer-3-23-02-2011/ramarajan-song-round-day-3-part-4-video_6a9383bac.html
Entire collections here: njoy..
http://www.tamilrain.com/browse-Vijay-Tv-Airtel-Super-Singer-3-videos-1-date.html

The only let down...the Pathetic Orchestra with keyboard, keyboard and keyboards :)
... it will be great if Vijay TV team gets a Knowledge Transfer (KT) from there counter part Asianet Idea Star Singer..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEHvXZQXmoc&playnext=1&list=PL3DC52857683123FC
Check the above link from time 6:40

AravindMano
26th February 2011, 07:43 AM
Vkrish - Thanks for the links!

After a long time I am watching a Super Singer episode completely - lovely song choices. (Only now I realize how beautiful Kudagu Malai KAtRu is. Listening to it like after ten years and I remember the song completely)

Exactly at the point when I was totally exhilarated listening to all these songs, Srinivas said and did what exactly I wanted to! (Day 4 - Part 2). Genuine gesture! :thumbsup:

Dhanyashree was the best performer IMO! Fantastic performance!

tvsankar
26th February 2011, 02:43 PM
vkrish,
thanks for the links...

skr
1st March 2011, 03:14 PM
There is supposed to be Film Music Directors' Golden Jubilee celebrations to be taking place this Sat 5th Mar..MSV,Maestro are expected to attend the event.Any idea regarding the venue and also tickets for the show ??
http://chennaionline.com/movies/preview/20113626023625/It-would-be-musical-rain-on-5th-March.col

crvenky
2nd March 2011, 02:36 PM
Nice article on MV:

http://solvanam.com/?p=13064

app_engine
2nd March 2011, 07:30 PM
Nice article on MV:

The author of this article is the director of 'padiththuRai'...his Nellaiththamizh is sweet :-)

jaiganes
2nd March 2011, 11:10 PM
From Sattam en kaiyil, my favourite is "Kada thengaayo vazhi pullayaaro" is my favourite..

V_S
3rd March 2011, 08:30 AM
Nice article on MV:

Thanks crvenky for sharing the article. What an amazing article!. The way Suka composed the article with his own experience and with occasional nellai slang makes it a very interesting read! All beautiful songs, some of them were very rare, as one Jai pointed out (kaathalichu paaru kiliye).
What a versatile singer! Padikkum bothu kannu kalangidichu :(

raj_musing
3rd March 2011, 02:38 PM
Not sure if raja would agree for this and their respective roles if they have to compose together....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbK4Dt2vgpI&feature=related

http://600024.com/mani-ratnam-to-synergize-ilayaraja-and-ar-rahman/

MumbaiRamki
3rd March 2011, 03:19 PM
Not sure if raja would agree for this and their respective roles if they have to compose together....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbK4Dt2vgpI&feature=related

http://600024.com/mani-ratnam-to-synergize-ilayaraja-and-ar-rahman/

this is chumma sir ..only arr will be the md

baroque
4th March 2011, 01:21 AM
மணி & இளையராஜா வே சந்தேகம்
something about மணி deserted ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா etc .. problems எல்லாம் வேற இருக்கு.

on top of it , இளையராஜா joins with ரஹ்மான் for the மணி movie ?

It is meaningless rumor, makes no sense.

so far, all those rumors relating to this project doesn't excite me at all.
vinatha.

app_engine
4th March 2011, 03:55 AM
It is meaningless rumor, makes no sense.

Vaiko - JJ (also Vaiko-mukA) koottaNi mAthiri, anything is possible in human relations :-)

baroque
4th March 2011, 05:56 AM
in this case, it is not up to ManiR, yes... he may wish to work with IR now in this project but it is Shri.IR decides.
politicians maadhiri easy aa IR poiduvaaraa?
doubtful.
all fellowskkum ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா has given it all - class with substance .
Already Shri.IR has given many awesome albums with Mani.
I cherish them rest of my life.

I want him to be happy.

Let Mani go to Rahman.
Rahman is amazing in delivering historical, period movies music.
Project of this class deserves Vairamuthu too.
love, vinatha.

ramk1
4th March 2011, 09:30 AM
Before all that, i want IR to do something similar to PAA in Tamil and clear all the cobwebs about his current business saleability etc. I wish he does a movie with a city backdrop with a score similar to 'Aval appadithan'. Dont get me wrong here by assuming that i am asking IR to prove his business saleability etc. I saw in recent suseendhran's interview about that statement and it was clearly edited after that. So it is quite possible that the industry is sulking in approaching IR for some of the movies.

skr
4th March 2011, 10:30 AM
New twist to the Ponniyin Selvan Story..
Hindu says its IR but not confirmed
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2011/03/04/stories/2011030450870400.htm

baroque
4th March 2011, 11:10 AM
see... nobody is confirming.

raj_musing
4th March 2011, 10:20 PM
New twist to the Ponniyin Selvan Story..
Hindu says its IR but not confirmed
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2011/03/04/stories/2011030450870400.htm

I too read this in the morning paper and was about to post this...But again "THE HINDU" never gossips and there should be some element of truth behind all this info...Hope so!

Fliflo
4th March 2011, 10:20 PM
Well the movie itself is not confirmed. Not pinning on this too much right now.

jaiganes
5th March 2011, 12:53 AM
Siththan poakku sivan poakku.
ராஜா அடுத்து என்ன பண்ணுவார்ணு அவருக்கே தெரியாது.
திட்டம் போட்டு கோட்டை பிடிக்கிற ஆள் ராஜா இல்லை.
புதுமையா எது செய்தாலும் எனக்கு ஓ.கே தான்.
இங்கே இருக்குற எல்லாருக்கும் அப்படி தான்னு நினைக்கறேன்.

திருவாசகத்துக்கு நிகரா திவ்யப்ரபந்தத்தில் இருந்து எதாவது பண்ணினார்னா
நல்லா இருக்கும்.
பாரதியார், பாரதிதாசனார் கவிதைகளுக்கு இசையமைத்து ஒரு தொகுப்பையும் வெளியிட்டாருன்னா
வாழ்க்கைக்கு திருப்தி கிடைச்சுரும்.

irir123
5th March 2011, 05:11 AM
that Hindu item/piece is all speculative - more like a classy 'kisu kisu' !

tvsankar
6th March 2011, 12:40 AM
http://ragamanjari.blogspot.com/

Nice blog.. MVD in rare no.......... nice pick............... Nice Write up..................

skr
6th March 2011, 02:57 PM
Cine Musicians Union Golden Jubilee Celebrations took place yesterday 5th Mar 2011.
The Maestro spoke on the occassion and also performed a C R Subbaraman song.
Take a look at the pics from the event.
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/25935.html
http://kalakkalcinema.com/tamil_events_list.php?id=2094

baroque
7th March 2011, 07:26 AM
I love பியானோ compositions .
I enjoy பியானோ melodies of Indian cinema .
Few piano compositions are amazingly soothing & tuneful.

From chithrahar famous khayyam 's jeet hi lenge baazee hum tum.... ,உன்னிடம் மயங்குகிறேன்...., man me kisee....Lata's finest ,மனிதன் என்பவன் தெய்வமாகலாம்..., bachpan ke din...
very soothing & beautiful.

This evening is cool & cloudy, I love soothing, sober classical - jazz.

இளையராஜா has done some wonderful பியானோ compositions
தென் மதுரை வைகை நதி........
சின்னப்புறா ஒன்று........
வானம் தொடாத.....
கல்யாணம் வைபோகம்......
பூவிலே மேடை நான் போடவா....
உறவுகள் தொடர்கதை.....
இவள் ஒரு இளங்குருவி......more more ....
ராஜா should do a piano jazz /blues instrumental album and go for GRAMMY.
ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜாவே போகலைன்னா கூட நம்ப individual ஆ one track or two submit பண்ணலாம்.

please ராஜா, give me some minimalistic , longer tuneful moments to cuddle & relax

vinatha .

V_S
7th March 2011, 08:31 AM
கல்யாணம் வைபோகம்......

இந்த பாட்டை நான் எப்போ கேட்டாலும் அழுதிடுவேன்

baroque
7th March 2011, 09:34 AM
mm...அப்படியா
among the piano compositions

sober mood and heart felt lyrics are

jeet hi lenge baazee hum tum......beautiful khayyam saab's composition blasted in whole India.
உறவுகள் தொடர்கதை.....
மனிதன் என்பவன் தெய்வமாகலாம்...
Talat's sober mood - piano composition
Dil pareshaan hai raat veeraan hai
dekh Jaa Kis Tarah Aaj Tanha Hain Hum......

for me.
Vinatha.

AravindMano
8th March 2011, 05:39 AM
News floating around in Twitter - Raja to compose for an Amitabh - Sridevi starrer directed by Balki's wife!

krish244
8th March 2011, 02:15 PM
AravindMano, is it a celabrity tweet or IR fan tweet?

In a recent news item in, (either THE HINDU or TIMES), Balki has said that Sridevi is debuting in his wife's directorial venture and Balki himself is planning his next with Amitabh and when asked if he would cast Sridevi, he said "why not". No mention about who will be the music composer. Title of that article was something like "Amitabh and Sridevi together?"

thanks,

Krishnan

raj_musing
8th March 2011, 02:38 PM
News News everywhere! But not even a single new album of IR is getting released...:) After "PAA" where are the the other anticipated albums from bollywood disappeared?
I think raja's future from now on would be more or less in this same fashion,with a few releases here and there and more of "GOSSIPS" !

Fliflo
8th March 2011, 08:11 PM
Ponnar-Shankar: IR is the MD confirmed by Prashant.

Movie to be released this month. Watch this video..

http://www.nakkheeran.in/WebTv.aspx?WTV=795

Fliflo
8th March 2011, 08:13 PM
BGM in the above video makes you to think of ARR though. Definitely did not sound like IR's style.

Sureshs65
9th March 2011, 09:14 PM
Was watching SPB's Telugu singing competition program 'Paadutha Teeyaga'. The guest for the show was Saluri Vasu. He is the son of the legendary music director, Saluri Rajeshwar Rao. He made a couple of interesting comments regarding Raja's music.

1. One song sung by a contestant was from a Vamshi film and the music was by a MD called Chakri. Vasu said that Vamshi would always talk about Raja to Chakri in order to inspire him. He said that Vamshi was very close to Raja and once Raja gifted him a music system !!

2. He said that he and his brothers and his parents all stayed together as a joint family. He and his brother Koti, are music directors. Whenever they used to come back home after a recording, his father would ask their mother get him the tape recorder and he will start playing some Raja song. Then he will tell his sons, "Listen, how well Raja has composed this song." He said that it was his father's way of inspiring them to create good music. Was nice to know that someone like Rajeshwar Rao held Raja in such high regard.

raagas
10th March 2011, 12:32 AM
He and his brother Koti, are music directors. Whenever they used to come back home after a recording, his father would ask their mother get him the tape recorder and he will start playing some Raja song. Then he will tell his sons, "Listen, how well Raja has composed this song."

Whats the use? :-) Neither the talent of Rajeswara Rao nor the inspiring songs of IR rubbed on the sons. :-) In another episode of Paadutha Theeyaga, Koti proclaimed that he composed far more complex bass patterns and percussion patterns than Ilaiyaraaja. Delusional talk! :-)

AravindMano
10th March 2011, 05:05 AM
AravindMano, is it a celabrity tweet or IR fan tweet?

In a recent news item in, (either THE HINDU or TIMES), Balki has said that Sridevi is debuting in his wife's directorial venture and Balki himself is planning his next with Amitabh and when asked if he would cast Sridevi, he said "why not". No mention about who will be the music composer. Title of that article was something like "Amitabh and Sridevi together?"

thanks,

Krishnan

Krishnan - He is a PRO of Tollywood, so I guess there should be something really happening.

Plum
10th March 2011, 05:50 AM
Koti :rotfl:

krish244
10th March 2011, 08:18 AM
Krishnan - He is a PRO of Tollywood, so I guess there should be something really happening.

Oh ok. Its encouraging then.

thanks,

Krishnan

prasad_subbu
10th March 2011, 08:44 AM
Fliflo,

It is ARR music from Jodha Akbar.

sureshmehcnit
10th March 2011, 11:24 AM
Hi All,

I am happy to announce the release of an e-book “Moods of Ilaiyaraaja” – a book on Ilaiyaraaja’s background scores. I dedicate this book to tfmpage.com, because, 5 years ago, it is for TFM Hub magazine, I wrote about Background score for the first ever time in my life. Moreover, if not for this hub, this book wouldn't have happened. This forum gave me all the knowledge I have now about Ilaiyaraaja's music.

I always thought that I am not ready yet for writing a book on Ilaiyaraaja’s background score, but now have realized that, when analysing a body of work as vast and varied as that of Ilaiyaraaja, no one can ever be fully ready to write a book. This is just a beginning; a book about just a droplet of the ocean that is Ilaiyaraaja. I would write something and save it for this book, but I would eventually post it in my blog (http://www.backgroundscore.com). This has been happening for a long time. Those who have been following my blog would have read 50% of the content of this book already in this blog. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I could not move out of my house for past one month, and used that time to put this book together.

Chapters

1. Waking Up
2. Background of Scores
Introduction
The Unsung
Making of a Film Score (Sholay)
Melody of a Song as Motif
Distinct Leitmotifs
Stock Music
Silence
Plagiarism
The New Wave
3. Ilaiyaraaja's Incredits
4. Ilaiyaraaja and Ilaiyaraaja Only
5. With the Grand Music of
6. An Ilaiyaraaja Musical
7. National Award

You can buy the e-book here

http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/moods-of-ilaiyaraaja/15104796

Smile,
Sureshkumar.

http://www.backgroundscore.com

crvenky
10th March 2011, 02:10 PM
From this week's Vikatan:

ராஜாவைக் காப்பாற்றிய ரஹ்மானின் தந்தை!

கடந்த சனிக்கிழமை சென்னை நேரு ஸ்டேடியம், இசையாலும் ரசிகர்களாலும் நிரம்பி வழிந்தது. திரை இசைக் கலை ஞர்கள் சங்கம் துவங்கிய 50 ஆண்டு கள் நிறைவைக் கொண்டாடவும், வேலைவாய்ப்பு இல்லாத இசைக் கலைஞர்களுக்கு நல நிதி திரட்டவும் நடந்த இசை விழாவில், இளையராஜா வும் ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மானும் ஒரே மேடை யில் தோன்றியது நிகழ்ச்சியின் உச்சபட்ச மகிழ்ச்சி நிகழ்வு!

விழாவின் தொகுப்பாளர்கள் இசையமைப்பாளர் ஜேம்ஸ் வசந்தன், பின்னணிப் பாடகி மதுமிதா. கூலியே கிடைக்காமல் திரை இசைக் கலை ஞர்கள் கஷ்டப்பட்டதையும், 1960-ம் ஆண்டு ஜி.வி.கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தியால் ஆரம்பிக்கப்பட்ட திரை இசைக்கலை ஞர்கள் சங்கம் எப்படி படிப்படியாக சினிமாவில் வளர்ந்தது என்பதையும் தெளிவாக விளக்கினார் ஜேம்ஸ் வசந்தன்!

'விழியே கதை எழுது...’ என்று கே.ஜே.யேசுதாஸ் கண்கள் மூடிப் பாட ஆரம்பித்தபோது, ரசிகர்களிடம் உற்சாக ஆரவாரம். ''எதை சம்பாதிச்சாலும் அது நிலைக்காது. சந்தோஷத்தைச் சம்பாதிங்க. அதுதான் கடைசி வரைக்கும் இருக்கும். அடுத்தவங்களுக்கு நல்லது பண்ணா... சந்தோஷம் தானா வரும்!'' என்று நல்ல விஷயம் சொல்லி விடைபெற்றார் யேசுதாஸ்!

பாடகர்களில் சிலர் லேப்டாப்பில் பாடல் வரிகளைப் பார்த்துப் பாட, சிலர்மனப் பாடமாகப் பாடினார்கள். பி.சுசீலா மேடை ஏறியபோது, பழைய பச்சை டைரி ஒன்றைப் பார்த்து 'அவளுக்கென்று ஓர் மனம்...’ என்ற பாடலைப் பாடினார். ''நான் இதுவரை இந் தப் பாட்டை மேடையில் பாடினதே இல்லை. என் குடும்ப உறுப்பினர்களுக்காகப் பாடி னேன்'' என்பது சுசீலாம்மாவின் பஞ்ச்!

''டெக்னாலஜி வளர்ந்த பின்னாடி திரை இசைக் கலைஞர்களுக்கு வேலையே இல்லாமப்போச்சு. அதை நினைச்சு நான் அப்பப்போ வருத்தப்படுவேன். பொன் விழா சமயத்தில் அவங்களை ஞாபகம்வெச்சு அவங்களுக்காக நிதி திரட்ட ஏற்பாடு பண்ணியிருக்கீங்க. ரொம்ப நல்ல விஷயம்'' என்று விழா ஏற்பாட் டாளர்களைப் பாராட்டிவிட்டு, 'சுந்தரி கண் ணால் ஒரு சேதி...’ என்று பாடிச் சென்றார் எஸ்.பி.பாலசுப்பிரமணியம்!

'இதுவரை இல்லாத உணர்விது’ என்று ஆரம்பித்து 'பெண்ணை நம்பாதே’ என்று நாலு வரி பாடியதோடு நிறுத்திக்கொண்டார் யுவன். ''லேடீஸைக் காலி பண்ணிட்டீங்களே?'' என்று மதுமிதா கேட்க, ரசிகர்கள் பக்கம் திரும்பிய யுவன், 'இது சினிமாவுக்கு மட்டும்தான்!’ என்று சமாதானம் சொல்லிக் கீழே இறங்கினார்!

'மைனா’ படத்தின் 'ஜிங்ஜிக்கா’ பாடலை இமான் பாட, குடும்பப் பெண்களும், குழந்தைகளும் கூச்சம் மறந்து தோள் குலுக்கி ஆட்டம் போட்டது விசேஷ விஷ§வல்!

பியானோவும் டிரம்ஸும் மேடை ஏற... பின்னாலேயே வந்தார் ரஹ்மான். ''தப்பா எடுத்துக்கா தீங்க... ஸோலோ பெர்ஃபார்மன்ஸ்தான் பண்ணப்போறேன்!'' என்றவர், பியானோவை வாசிக்கத் துவங்கினார். அந்நேரம் பார்த்து மைக் மக்கர் பண்ண, சில நிமிடங்களில் சரிசெய்தார்கள். ''ஒரு சின்னப் போட்டி. 10 வருஷத்தில் நான் இசையமைச்ச பாடல்களை வாசிக்கப் போறேன். உன்னி கிருஷ்ணன் அந்தப் பாடல்களை பாடுறதுக்கு முன்னாடி நீங்க கண்டுபிடிங்க பார்க்கலாம்'' என்று இசை வாசித்தார். 'சொன்னாலும் கேட்பதில்லை கன்னி மனது...’, 'என்னவளே என்னவளே...’ என்று உன்னி மேனன் பாடிக்கொண்டு இருக்கும்போதே, ஆடியோ சிஸ்டம் சொதப்ப, ரஹ்மான் முகத்தில் கோபம் கலந்த இறுக்கம். சட்டென்று மைக் எடுத்தவர், 'மன்னிப்பாயா’ பாடலில் வரும் 'கண்ணே தடுமாறி நடந்தேன்... நூலில் ஆடும் மழையாகிப் போனேன்!’ என்ற வரிகளை உச் சஸ்தாயியில் பாடிவிட்டுக் கீழே இறங்கிவிட்டார். அந்த நேரம் சரியாக இளைய ராஜா அரங்கத்துக்குள் வர, அவருக்குக் கை கொடுத்துவிட்டு, ராஜா அருகிலேயே அமர்ந்தார் ரஹ்மான்!

மேடை ஏறிய இளையராஜா, ''50 வருஷத்துக்கு முன் இந்த சங்கம் ஆரம்பிச் சப்போ, திரை இசைக் கலைஞர்களுக்கு நல்ல மரியாதை கிடைச்சது. 'மர்ம யோகி’ படத்தில் எம்.ஜி.ஆருக்கு சம்பளம் 30 ரூபா. இசையமைப்பாளர் விஸ்வநாதனுக்கு சம்பளம் 10 ரூபா. அப்போ ட்ரூப் பில் சித்தார் வாசிச்சுட்டு இருந்த ஜீனாலால் சேட்டுக்கு சம்பளம் 100 ரூபா. எம்.ஜி.ஆரைவிடவும் அதிகம் சம்பாதிச்ச வங்க திரை இசைக் கலைஞர்கள். ஆனா, அவங்க நிலைமை இப்போ ரொம்பப் பரி தாபமா இருக்கு. நான் ட்ரூப்புக்கு வந் தப்போ, எனக்கு கிடாரே வாசிக்கத் தெரி யாது. அப்போ துரைபோகம்னு ஒரு டைரக்டர் என்னை கிடார் வாசிக்கச் சொன்னார். (ரஹ்மானைப் பார்த்து) 'உனக்குத் தெரியாது ரஹ்மான். உன் அப்பா சேகர்தான் என்னை அப்போ கிடார் வாசிப்பதில் இருந்து காப்பாத்துவார்!’ '' என்றபோது, ஆமோதிப்பாகத் தலையசைத்துக் கேட்டுக்கொண்டார் ரஹ்மான்!

skr
10th March 2011, 09:33 PM
Ilaiyaraja to compose music for Balki's next movie starring Amitabh and Sridevi
http://www.mirchi9.com/postyourclip/2011/03/09/ilayaraja-to-compose-music-for-amitabh-sridevis-film/

jaiganes
10th March 2011, 09:51 PM
Hi All,

I am happy to announce the release of an e-book “Moods of Ilaiyaraaja” – a book on Ilaiyaraaja’s background scores. I dedicate this book to tfmpage.com, because, 5 years ago, it is for TFM Hub magazine, I wrote about Background score for the first ever time in my life. Moreover, if not for this hub, this book wouldn't have happened. This forum gave me all the knowledge I have now about Ilaiyaraaja's music.

I always thought that I am not ready yet for writing a book on Ilaiyaraaja’s background score, but now have realized that, when analysing a body of work as vast and varied as that of Ilaiyaraaja, no one can ever be fully ready to write a book. This is just a beginning; a book about just a droplet of the ocean that is Ilaiyaraaja. I would write something and save it for this book, but I would eventually post it in my blog (http://www.backgroundscore.com). This has been happening for a long time. Those who have been following my blog would have read 50% of the content of this book already in this blog. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I could not move out of my house for past one month, and used that time to put this book together.

Chapters

1. Waking Up
2. Background of Scores
Introduction
The Unsung
Making of a Film Score (Sholay)
Melody of a Song as Motif
Distinct Leitmotifs
Stock Music
Silence
Plagiarism
The New Wave
3. Ilaiyaraaja's Incredits
4. Ilaiyaraaja and Ilaiyaraaja Only
5. With the Grand Music of
6. An Ilaiyaraaja Musical
7. National Award

You can buy the e-book here

http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/moods-of-ilaiyaraaja/15104796

Smile,
Sureshkumar.

http://www.backgroundscore.com
Good job Bro!!

Querida
11th March 2011, 03:34 AM
Wow!!! Kudos sureshmehcnit!!! :clap:

raagas
14th March 2011, 04:24 PM
So it appears that the much speculated Ponniyan Selvan by Maniratnam will NOT have music by Ilaiyaraaja: http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-03-12/news-interviews/28683483_1_mani-ratnam-mani-sir-tamil :-(

kiru
15th March 2011, 12:42 AM
So it appears that the much speculated Ponniyan Selvan by Maniratnam will NOT have music by Ilaiyaraaja: http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-03-12/news-interviews/28683483_1_mani-ratnam-mani-sir-tamil :-(

I am guessing it will have some sort of a POPish treatment as well. It will not have a raw ethnic flavor. It will be sugar coated or chocolate coated :-)
(Re: your signature - you could say the same for number systems as well..without binary numbers current computer technology in unthinkable.. anybody who is old :-) and has done Comp Science in college .. must remember "analog computers" course. The foundation is mathematics for both music and number systems)

jaiganes
15th March 2011, 01:08 AM
I am guessing it will have some sort of a POPish treatment as well. It will not have a raw ethnic flavor. It will be sugar coated or chocolate coated :-)
(Re: your signature - you could say the same for number systems as well..without binary numbers current computer technology in unthinkable.. anybody who is old :-) and has done Comp Science in college .. must remember "analog computers" course. The foundation is mathematics for both music and number systems)

why why? ennaathukku pre conceived notions?
let them start the project, with or without Raaja, it will be a project worth waiting for.

skr
15th March 2011, 01:44 AM
There is harakiri all around regarding the casting of Ponnoyin Selvan..No one really knows the true picture until a formal announcement is made..The funny thing is Hindu said its gonna be Maestro and PC Sreeram for camera whereas Times of India have said its ARR and Santosh Sivan as Cinematographer..Cant really understand whats goin on..

skr
15th March 2011, 01:46 AM
Azhagarsamiyin Kuthirai music release is taking place this Wed,16th Mar,2011 at Sathyam Cinemas from 6.30 PM onwards..

ajaybaskar
15th March 2011, 11:31 AM
As confirmed by people close to Mani, the man tried his best to rope in both Raja and Rahman and that didnt materialise for obvious reasons.

raagas
15th March 2011, 01:26 PM
As confirmed by people close to Mani, the man tried his best to rope in both Raja and Rahman and that didnt materialise for obvious reasons.

I heard the same. Pch :-(

rajasaranam
15th March 2011, 03:18 PM

The 'Obvious Reasons' suggests that Raaja didnt accept the offer and its very bad on his part. Now come to think of it, that he accepts the offer and says that he compose the whole song including tune and orchestration (Raajas strong point) and ARR does Arrangements & Additional programming (ARR's strong Point) would ARR accept this?

ajaybaskar
15th March 2011, 03:25 PM
I am sure that bringing Raja and Rahman together was only for the business reasons and its not a very good idea in terms of the productivity. Either mani should go for Raja or Rahman because both these gentlemen have contrasting styles of working, composing. They shud not be disturbed just for giving an additional mileage to the project. I am happy that this didn't materialize.

raagas
15th March 2011, 04:40 PM
The 'Obvious Reasons' suggests that Raaja didnt accept the offer and its very bad on his part. Now come to think of it, that he accepts the offer and says that he compose the whole song including tune and orchestration (Raajas strong point) and ARR does Arrangements & Additional programming (ARR's strong Point) would ARR accept this?

Mani certainly knows the calibre of both these composers and he himself remarked many times that they both are poles apart in their style of working. So, if he wanted them both, I think he would have wanted them to operate in their respective zones instead of collaborating on each song. I think Mani might have wanted them both to add more value to the project, by each of the composers contributing individually to the project. May be as 3 songs each or may be as ARR doing songs and IR doing BGM (since Mani likes IR's BGMs a lot). Just a guess, not that I am knowledgeable. But something tells me that if Mani wanted them both, he wanted them to contribute individually instead of a collaboration in every piece (since he knows that they are opposites).

Anyway, it is a disappointing news in a way. I thought IR would agree this time (to score for a Mani's film, either completely or partially).
IR did share composing credits earlier. Lajja had songs by Anu Malik (ahem!) and BGM by IR.

V_S
15th March 2011, 07:38 PM
I agree with Ajay that it did not materialize. But just looking at just Mani's perspective does not make much sense to me (only in case it if is true). He wants both of them to work together for this film (which is definitely laudable) or just ARR. But why not just IR. Did he think about it at all and talk to IR regarding this. If so, I am happy and it is wrong on IR's part not to accept it, otherwise it is better IR did not accept it. My thoughts....

app_engine
15th March 2011, 08:26 PM
Interesting to see world running as per predictions :-)

And not as per "wishes" :-(

Sureshs65
15th March 2011, 09:59 PM
If it was indeed true that Mani was trying to get Raja and Rahman to score for the same movie, I can only try and guess what Mani would have been smoking. Given that he had a taste of the 'royal' medicine, to even think this way means you are too optimistic or something has come unhinged. With no disrespect to anyone, I cannot see the logic here except in the business sense. Musically Raja definitely would be believe that he is a complete composer and hence would need no collaboration to 'add value' to his music!!! This is my personal view. (To be fair, I think Rahman's fans may also feel the same about Rahman's music)

jaiganes
15th March 2011, 10:19 PM
Mani surely was flirting with disaster and now has to go back to "normalcy" However how either composers would feel about it considering the filmmaker's motives just days ago was to go past "either one of them" is the "million dollar question". Sure enough that both the composers have richly rewarded Mani over the years with their creative outputs.

app_engine
15th March 2011, 10:32 PM
something has come unhinged
:rotfl:

In any case, now ellAmE subham :-)

skr
16th March 2011, 07:51 PM
And it has been confirmed by Rahman himself in this interview that he is indeed doing Ponniyin Selvan..So its Official now..Hear from 2.54 to 3.04
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150608603960001&oid=119238248123056

ajaybaskar
16th March 2011, 08:23 PM
If it was indeed true that Mani was trying to get Raja and Rahman to score for the same movie, I can only try and guess what Mani would have been smoking. Given that he had a taste of the 'royal' medicine, to even think this way means you are too optimistic or something has come unhinged. With no disrespect to anyone, I cannot see the logic here except in the business sense. Musically Raja definitely would be believe that he is a complete composer and hence would need no collaboration to 'add value' to his music!!! This is my personal view. (To be fair, I think Rahman's fans may also feel the same about Rahman's music)

Exactly my thoughts,mate.

Fliflo
16th March 2011, 08:57 PM
IMO, Mani Ratnam has lost the steam long ago. Can't remember when was the last time he gave a hit movie?? Now he wants to venture into this historical piece. Interesting to see...Raja not being part of this does not change the status quo..

app_engine
16th March 2011, 09:05 PM
IR or ARR, I'll go to theater and watch PS if it's made as a historical :-)

I have my own reservations with current creativity levels of MR but Kalki definitely deserves such respect!

baroque
16th March 2011, 09:24 PM
yes ... கல்கி, அகிலன்,சாண்டில்யன், நா.பார்த்தசாரதி,பாலகுமாரன்,இந்திரா பார்த்தசாரதி, சுஜாதா , வாஸந்தி , விக்கிரமன் etc ..all my favorites from my school days .
I adore them . நான் ரசிச்சு படிப்பேன், அந்த புத்தகங்களை பரிசாக தருவேன் to my டியர் ஒன்ஸ்.

last week I was revisiting சோழமகுடம்...விக்கிரமன். wonderful.

For விக்ரம் I went to the theater for ராவணன். but பாலா's விக்ரம் is special for me, I am always in the mood for பிதாமகன் விக்ரம்.

I am interested in the music / songs ..

Vijay turning into an artist, Can he be a director's actor not a தல, வால் ,கால் etc ..?
I am curious.. let us see,
vinatha.

genesis
16th March 2011, 11:12 PM
Is MR making a period film or a modern take on Ponniyin Selvan? I can not imagine Vijay and Arya as Chola kings... If it is going to be a period film with Vijay, Arya, I do not think we need IR or ARR. DSP or better Himesh.R will be perfect MD of choice.

baroque
17th March 2011, 01:09 AM
நாதனை கண்டேனடி என் தோழி...., நஞ்சை கழனிகளின்... தஞ்சை பெரிய கோயில் பல்லாண்டு வாழ்கவே.......
அதான் ராஜ ராஜ சோழன் எடுத்தாச்சு -(historical).
I think Mani will go with his contemporary touch.

vinatha.

app_engine
17th March 2011, 02:00 AM
நாதனை கண்டேனடி என் தோழி...., நஞ்சை கழனிகளின்... தஞ்சை பெரிய கோயில் பல்லாண்டு வாழ்கவே.......
அதான் ராஜ ராஜ சோழன் எடுத்தாச்சு -(historical).
I think Mani will go with his contemporary touch.

vinatha.

PS will be more of VanthiyaththEvan show :-) From what I read in the TF section, Vijay will be playing Vanthiyaththevan while Rajarajachozhan aka Arulmozhi aka ponniyin selvan will be played by someone like Arya...

In any case, IR is not in that project...which means curtains for PS discussions in this part of the hub :-)

There seems to be another PS in the pipeline though (ponnar-shankar) :lol:

mu-kA / PirasAnthu...hopelessness written all over :-(

baroque
17th March 2011, 02:18 AM
yeah... hubby of powerful, influential princess of Chola kingdom - kudhavai 1.

OH ...THERE IS A பிரஷாந்த்'S MOVIE IN THE SAME SUBJECT .
எடுக்கட்டும்.

ALL THOSE NOVELS ABOUT சோழ KINGDOM ARE ADDICTIVE .

EVERYBODY SHOULD READ & ENJOY THE FOLLOWING GREAT WORKS.
யவன ராணி, வேங்கையின் மைந்தன், ரவிகுல திலகன், கடல் புறா ,மோகனச்சிலை,சோழமகுடம்,பராந்தகன் மகள்,கன்னிமாடம்,ராஜ ராஜன் சபதம், நாகதேவி ALONG WITH கல்கியின் பொன்னியின் செல்வன்.

இசை ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா இல்லன்னா ... நம்ப எதுக்கு இங்க பேசணும்? correct.

வினதா.

K
17th March 2011, 05:03 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2011/03/17-ahagarsamiyin-kuthirai-audio-launch-ilayaraja-aid0136.html

K
19th March 2011, 05:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiQzta3Kzwg&feature=player_embedded

Violinist Conductor Prabhakar Speakes with Mano about Raja and Yuvan.

V_S
20th March 2011, 12:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N5BKPDmgA8
Very emotional talk by Raja sir on ASK. Waiting to listen to the title score!

AravindMano
20th March 2011, 04:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N5BKPDmgA8
Very emotional talk by Raja sir on ASK. Waiting to listen to the title score!

Thanks V_S.

The guy sitting behind Raja, I think Inigo who acted in Poo - his reaction as soon as Raja says 'idhOda music close' :lol: Terror aayttApla.

bayangRa philosphy pOnga speech muzhukka. பூகம்பம் சும்மாவா வந்தது?! :lol:

AravindMano
20th March 2011, 04:50 AM
K - Super profile picture !

Sureshs65
20th March 2011, 12:59 PM
K,

Thanks for the Prabhakar link. Unfortunately I missed it yesterday. Didn't remember that the program was on yesterday. Switched in late and wanted to check who this person was.

An excellent observation from Prabhakar: "When we played these pieces we never realized that these would be such classics. We were more interested in playing for the next song. Nowadays when I hear these songs I am stunned this in around 4 or 5 hrs!!!"

AravindMano
20th March 2011, 06:15 PM
In other news, 'Happi''s work is done at the editing table ('http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article1550237.ece') and more news on Balki's production. ('http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article1553134.ece')

Saagar
21st March 2011, 12:24 AM
Today I had been to a feliciation ceremony of ONV Kurup For Gnanapeeth,Jayaram was also feliciated in the same function for PadmaShri, at Chennai by the AI Mal Association. Shri IR was there for the function. He put to rest any feeling of doubt in anyone's mind regarding his feelings for ONV by categorically stating that he came for the function only for ONV. He made a brief speech, almost in Malayalam, stating that for artistes (Kalakaaranmar) these figurative awards are not their "Lakshyam". When ONV's turn came to speak, he walked over and accompanied him till the podium. All in all , IR won over the audience from his entry to his speech to the entire period when he was there. He was exchanging pleasantries with ONV,Hariharan & Gokulam Gopalan. It was clear that unlike other people with whom he had a tiff, this was purely a media created one. By IR's nature, it would not have been this way otherwise.

Speaking later at the same function Jayaram recollected the composing session of Manassinakkare. He said that he had proposed to IR for a stay at a house boat. He mentioned that IR called him up at Chennai, from the houseboat, telling him how much he enjoyed that & felt inspired for a tune for situation in the film which he sand over the phone- the song was Melle Onnu. (Sathyan Anthikkad had earlier mentioned about the same composing in an interview earlier - about how impressed he was to see how the entire song was "born" in front of his eyes. Within 5 mins he called up again saing that he got the tune for the next situation also & sang the tune for him over phone - the song being Marakkudayaal.

Saagar
21st March 2011, 12:27 AM
Chitra sang Kunnathe Konnaikkum in the function- Once again I felt it deserved a National award .

baroque
21st March 2011, 02:22 AM
thanks for Shri.IR's video.
ரொம்ப emotionalla பேசறாரு... எனக்கு அழுகையா வருது ... listening less of him is more for me ..
my childhood, school, college days & your music... GOLDEN DAYS of my life.
yeah... Raaja, that's exactly I feel when I listen to your early works.
Early years spent in Tamil Nadu with your music... absolutely magical feeling. Very dear to me. Everyday I take few hrs at the end of the day for you to take me back to those glorious , happy, carefree days... nostalgia picks up like anything... அப்படியே... உங்க கிட்ட சரணாகதி.
I let you refresh me, motivate me, pamper me so that I am all ready for the next day as an adult with positive energy, enjoy the present day.

EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF YOU!
PRAISE THE 80s ILAYARAJA!

Vinatha.

skr
21st March 2011, 11:01 AM
Ponnaar Shankar audio launch on 27th March

Devaraagam
21st March 2011, 06:58 PM
is ponnar shankar by IR?

skr
21st March 2011, 08:07 PM
Yes its IR who is the MD of Ponnaar Shankar ..

raj_musing
21st March 2011, 10:20 PM
. It was clear that unlike other people with whom he had a tiff, this was purely a media created one. By IR's nature, it would not have been this way otherwise.

Saagar,

There was no tiff and it was infact blown out of proportion by the insensitive media. I had earlier posted a link where the 3 stalwarts( KJY, Raja and ONV) came together for a fn to honor KJY on his 70th bthday. On that day all the three were exchanging pleasantries.

I have got that link now after a lot of searching:-Infact this happened a year ago!

http://www.manoramaonline.com/advt/Specials/Metro/Yesudas_Ceremony/index.htm

Check this,along with the video clipping posted in the site!

app_engine
21st March 2011, 10:57 PM
marmam (http://www.viduppu.com/view.php?22HHBf300hhOU4eeJJn5cbbaa51ddd55a3bccnnJ3 e44OOh2022LL132)

நேற்று சென்னையில் நடந்த அழகர்சாமியின் குதிரை இசை வெளியீட்டு விழாவுக்கு சிறப்பு விருந்தினர் இளையராஜா. சசிகுமார், டி.இமான் என்று பார்த்துப் பார்த்து விழாவுக்கு அழைத்திருந்தார்கள்.
மைனா புகழ் இமானைப் பேச அழைத்தபோது “ இளையராஜா சாரோடு ஒரு போட்டோ எடுத்துக் கொள்ள வேண்டும் என்று நீண்டநாள் ஆசை. அவரிடம் இந்தக் கோரிக்கையை வைத்தால் எங்கே நம்மை திட்டிவிடுவாரோ என்று பயந்துகொண்டு பொறுமையாக இருந்தேன். இப்போதுதான் சரியான சந்தர்ப்பம் கிடைத்திருக்கிறது.“ என்று சொல்லிவிட்டு இளையராஜாவுடன் போட்டோ எடுத்துக்கொண்டார். சசிகுமாரைப் பேச அழைத்தபோது “இளையராஜா எளிமையான மனிதர். அவரை வாழும் காலத்திலேயே நாம் கொண்டாட வேண்டும். அவரை விட்டு விலகி இருக்க வேண்டிய அவசியம் இல்லை. அவரை எப்போது வேண்டுமானாலும் நாம் சந்திக்கலாம். யாரும் அணுக முடியாத மனிதர் அல்ல. அவரை நாம் தனிமைப்படுத்தக் கூடாது” என்று சொன்னதும் அரங்கத்தில் ஏக க்ளாப்ஸ்.

Contrasting opinions from Iman (another MD) and Sasikumar (Subramanyapuram director)

baroque
21st March 2011, 11:59 PM
common thing is both are comfortable expressing their feeling about him in front of him... that's nice.
Last year Tamil cinema seen some nice movies like pasanga, myna,poo, nadodigal, vennila kabadi kuzhu etc..
over the top , அடிச்சு norikkiduven , நீ காணாம போயிடுவ etc ..தல வால் கால் மேல காச வேஸ்ட் பண்ணாம ... enduring movies.
they are soulful and memorable movies.
அழகா, natural ஆ songs picturise பண்ணினாங்க இந்த directors எல்லாம். thank you
I agree with Shri.ilayaraja's attraction towards these kind of movies that makes you move & cherish.
vinatha.

skr
22nd March 2011, 08:41 PM
Nice post by Ravi Aditya on Raja's guitar works..Interesting that he has updated till Maestro's latest work Azhagarsamiyin Kuthirai
http://raviaditya.blogspot.com/2011/03/king-of-mesmerising-musical-guitar.html

sureshmehcnit
23rd March 2011, 11:32 PM
My thoughts on ASK

http://ursmusically.blogspot.com/2011/03/azhagarsamiyin-kudhirai.html

raj_musing
23rd March 2011, 11:39 PM
My thoughts on ASK

http://ursmusically.blogspot.com/2011/03/azhagarsamiyin-kudhirai.html

Oh I have posted the same in the other thread. Didn't know that it was you,who wrote the review.

San_K
24th March 2011, 12:20 AM
Sureshmehcnit, I am curious to know, who has given the ratings (2.5 stars out of 5) in behindwoods

V_S
24th March 2011, 12:43 AM
Sureshmehcnit, I am curious to know, who has given the ratings (2.5 stars out of 5) in behindwoods
Yes, 2.5 rating does not match at all against what has been written by sureshmehcnit. The whole review looks very positive and that last paragraph sums it up very well, but just looking below the ratings, very dissappointed, expected atleast 3.5. I believe sureshmehcnit has not given the ratings, decided by someone from behindwoods. It seems the ratings have already been decided before this review. But they still want someone who writes nice review, so that it is good for their site. I appreciate behindwoods logic there, but the honesty was not there IMHO. If the review itself was not positive with the 2.5 rating, then there is no question about their credibility.

NormalMan
24th March 2011, 08:53 AM
Yes, 2.5 rating does not match at all against what has been written by sureshmehcnit. . If the review itself was not positive with the 2.5 rating, then there is no question about their credibility.

Those 3 and 4 stars are reserved exclusively for HJ and GVP

Devaraagam
24th March 2011, 09:30 AM
This week vikatan has the interview of Vijay Antony and his answer for do you like other music directors.

----------------

''மத்த இசையமைப்பாளர்களை ரசிப்பீர்களா?''

''ஒரே ஒரு இசையமைப்பாளரை ரசிப்பேன். அவர் இளையராஜா. அவருடன் யாரையும் ஒப்பிட முடியாது. அவருக்கு 'மாஸ்ட்ரோ’னு சின்ன பட்டத்தைக் கொடுத்திருக்காங்க. அந்த யானை சாப்பிட்டுப் போட்ட மிச்சத்தை வெச்சுத்தான் நாங்க விளையாடுறோம்!''

---------------

sureshmehcnit
24th March 2011, 05:44 PM

Obviously, I didn't give the rating 2.5. They have some guidelines for rating soundtracks. I also don't understand them yet. I don't bother much about these ratings anyway.

Sureshs65
24th March 2011, 09:30 PM
Suka, the writer and the also the director of 'Padithurai', has a lovely interview with the shenai maestro Baalesh. Baalesh plays regularly for Raja. He talks a lot about Raja and how difficult playing for him has been. He also clearly tells us how Raja experimented with the shenai and gave a new direction to that instrument as far as film music was concerned. Do head over here and read the interview. It is in Tamil. (Those who don't know Tamil can listen to the musical clips in this site. I assure you, it is well worth you time.)

http://solvanam.com/?p=13585

app_engine
24th March 2011, 10:14 PM
Suka, the writer and the also the director of 'Padithurai', has a lovely interview with the shenai maestro Baalesh. Baalesh plays regularly for Raja. He talks a lot about Raja and how difficult playing for him has been. He also clearly tells us how Raja experimented with the shenai and gave a new direction to that instrument as far as film music was concerned. Do head over here and read the interview. It is in Tamil. (Those who don't know Tamil can listen to the musical clips in this site. I assure you, it is well worth you time.)

Thank you Sureshji, for the link!

One rarest kind of interviews ever to appear in Thamizh media!

Sureshs65
24th March 2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks app_ji :)

Really a wonderful article. The team has done a great job in including some lovely clips. I have requested that SuKa and Solvanam do such interviews with the other gifted instrumentalists of Raja's team like Sada, Puru, Viji Manuel et al. (All these names are mentioned by SuKa). Hope they do it in the near future.

/Total Dig
#ShamelessSelfPlug BTW, my article on music of Muktamma of Brinda-Mukta fame is also published in the same issue. You can check it out here: http://solvanam.com/?p=13509
/End Dig

San_K
25th March 2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks Suresh :notworthy: superb one

Vkrish
25th March 2011, 02:18 AM
When youtube'd enjoyed these old clips..hope you too will !! Sada rocks !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX0C1pbuiK8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDmfynpLNJE&feature=related

Thanks for the link Suresh... http://solvanam.com/?p=13509
.. so interesting to listen to those lovely clips that Balesh had played with such a versatility...he is highly gifted artist.

tvsankar
25th March 2011, 02:30 AM
Thanks a lot for the links vkirsh......

rajasaranam
25th March 2011, 12:36 PM

made my day!
right now hooked up with 'Kanne Ithu' from 'AanAzhagan' http://www.mediafire.com/?0wbzhuclib3

Sureshs65
25th March 2011, 10:20 PM
Here you can see the violins and cello rehearsing 'Ananda Raagam' / 'Saara Yeh Aalam'. Got it via my friend DilsoftRaja in twitter.

http://cellosekar.com/

Devaraagam
26th March 2011, 12:25 AM
Suresh..........

gr8 link which took more time for me to come out from solvanam. thanks solvanam to make me identify shenoy in songs..

Devaraagam
26th March 2011, 12:34 AM
Mahanadhi scene is dam good with shenoy..when Shobana show her face, shenoy starting....amazing..

tvsankar
28th March 2011, 03:23 AM
http://rajamanjari.blogspot.com/2011/03/ilaiyaraaja-ethereal-musician.html

Lovely write up............

rajaramsgi
28th March 2011, 07:29 PM
cello sekar's website is not working, anyone have a copy of Sara yeh aalam rehearsal? By the way, Cello Sekar is the son of popular violinist Kunnakudi Vaidhyanathan.

rajkumarc
29th March 2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks Suresh for the Solvanam article link. One of the best reads I had in recent time. Hard to come out of it especially the last piece of music performed after the conclusion of the interview still lingers on. Yet to read the Cello Sekar article.

MumbaiRamki
29th March 2011, 01:15 PM
http://www.hindu.com/mp/2011/03/29/stories/2011032950360100.htm
"The list of music directors she's worked with is rather impressive too. But, is there anyone that she really enjoys working with? “Ilaiyaraaja sir is an institution and I feel like a student when I work with him. He likes my work and that's the biggest certificate for me"

No guesses for who the singer is :)

V_S
31st March 2011, 11:15 PM
At last finished reading solvanam article about shenoy and Pandit Balesh. Many thanks to Suresh ji for posting such amazing article. Waiting to finish my work and rush back home to create IR's shenoy playlist to hear from tomorrow:-D.

Some remarks about Raja sir which I liked.

இவரிடம் ஒருவர் வாசித்துவிட்டாரென்றால் உலகத்தில் வேறு எங்கே வேண்டுமானாலும் போய் வாசித்துவிடலாம். அதனால் இவரிடம் வாசிக்கும் ஒவ்வொருவருமே மிகப்பெரிய இசைக்கலைஞர்தான்

பிலாஸ்கானி தோடி என்றொரு அரிதான ராகம் இருக்கிறது. தான்ஸேனின் மகன் பிலாஸ்கான். அவர் உருவாக்கிய ராகம் என்பதால் பிலாஸ்கானி தோடி என்று பெயர். அதில் வட இந்தியாவில் கூட திரைப்பாடல்கள் அதிகம் இல்லை. ஆனால் இவர் அதில் பாட்டமைத்திருக்கிறார். ‘உதயகீதம் பாடுவேன்’ பாட்டுதான் அது

Also Balesh sir hit the nail on the head about the current trend. I also have same concern.:sad:

இப்போது புதிதாகத் திரைத்துறைக்கு வரும் இசையமைப்பாளர்களுக்கு இந்த ராகங்கள் எதுவுமே தெரிவதில்லை, புரிவதுமில்லை. தெரிந்தாலும் அவற்றை வெறும் நோட்ஸ்களாக மட்டுமே பார்க்கிறார்கள். ஜீவ ஸ்வரம், ராக ரூபம் இதெல்லாம் ஒன்றுமே தெரிவதில்லை. ‘ட்ரெண்ட் மாறிப்போச்சு’ என்று சொல்லி இதையெல்லாம் எதுவுமே தெரிந்துகொள்ளாமல் தப்பித்துக் கொள்கிறார்கள். ‘ட்ரெண்ட் மாறிவிட்டது’ என்றெல்லாம் ஒன்றுமில்லை. ராகங்களை வைத்துக்கொண்டே நவீனமாகவும் பாடல்களை உருவாக்கலாம். ராகங்கள் என்பவை நம் ஆதாரமான மெலடிகள்தான். அவற்றை ஒரு குறிப்பிட்ட வகையில், குறிப்பிட்ட ஸ்வரங்களுக்கு, பிரயோகங்களுக்கு அழுத்தம் கொடுத்துப் பாடும்போது உருவாகும் இசை நீண்டகாலம் ஜீவனோடு இருப்பதைக் கண்டுகொண்ட நம் முன்னோர்கள் அவற்றைப் பாரம்பரியமாகப் பாதுகாத்துவந்தார்கள். அதுதான் ராகம்.
But I see this western trend more in Hindi and Telugu compared to other languages.

கே.வி.மகாதேவன், எம்.எஸ்.வி, இளையராஜா எல்லோருமே ராகங்களின் அடிப்படையில் அந்தந்த காலகட்டத்துக்கேற்ற மாதிரி நவீனமாகத்தானே பாடல்களைத் தந்தார்கள்?

முன்பெல்லாம் தயாரிப்பாளர்கள், இயக்குநர்களெல்லாம் இசைப் பரிச்சயம் உள்ளவர்களாக இருந்தார்கள். இன்று அவர்களுக்கும் தெரிவதில்லை. அதனால்தான் பல இசையமைப்பாளர்களும் தப்பித்துக்கொள்கிறார்கள். இது தமிழ்நாட்டில் மட்டுமல்ல, இந்தியா பூராவுமே அப்படித்தான் இருக்கிறது.
I can only :lol: for this

V_S
1st April 2011, 09:23 AM
Reserved the last video for the night, as I know that will capture me and will not be able to do other work when I hear during the day time. As expected, I was in heaven! What a talent Pandit sir :notworthy: Gifted to hear such amazing performance!! Special thanks to Suka!!

rajasaranam
1st April 2011, 06:18 PM
from the tweets of @600024

BREAKING NEWS:Illayaraja confirms dat he will do the Background Score 4 Ponniyin Selvan,while Rahman is taking care of the songs

We are Interviewing Ilayaraja abt Ponniyin Selvan today evening.Have Qs 2 ask him? Reply & will ask u onbehalf. No Controversies pls.

Their website is http://600024.com/
Now I still dont believe this until it comes out from the mouth Raaja himself!

anyways I've posted a question to Raaja

சிம்பொனி வடிவத்திலயெ முற்றிலும் தமிழர்களின் பழங்கால இசைகருவிகள் மட்டுமே கொண்டு இசைஅமைப்பது சாத்தியமா? சாத்தியமென்றால் செய்வீர்களா?
meaning for raagas/sunil: Is it possible to compose symphonic music using the ancient instruments of Tamils? If possible will you do it?

ajaybaskar
1st April 2011, 06:25 PM
Nice way to fool people.. :-)

rajasaranam
1st April 2011, 06:46 PM
Nice way to fool people.. :-)

summa irukka mudiyalaya konja neram :)

raagas
1st April 2011, 07:04 PM
hahaha. you didnt see that coming RS :-) I too was surprised, for a minute & then i realized.

On the flip side, if this news is indeed true, then I consider that they got me on April 1st. :-)

PS: Thanks RS, for remembering to translate, for my sake!

ramk1
4th April 2011, 09:29 AM
Did Ponnar Shankar Audio got released? There has been no discussions on that.

KV
4th April 2011, 08:19 PM
Happened to watch 'Hrudaya Raga' today noon on Suvarna TV, a felicitation to KJY for his contribution to Kannada film music, that IR also attended.
This happened sometime last month in Bangalore I think and I'd seen IR's picture in one of the posters.
IR's speech was nice with his usual philosophical and historical anecdotes. He copiously showered praise on KJY (whom he referred as anna), and sat through the program with a warm bright smile on his face.
He spoke in Kannada (broken, but fairly decent). Here's a jist (in first-person narrative) of what he said (not verbatim):
One of the ways to find peace in our stressful lives is to listen to this man's voice. Just two minutes of listening to his singing can relax the mind.
I generally dont attend many functions, but I am here just for KJY.
I've played the guitar, organ and electronic instruments for many songs sung by KJY under several MDs like Dakshinamurthy, Devarajan, Baburaj and GKV.
He's always been friendly with all instrumentalists and that is how I got to know him early on.
After I became a composer, we have collaborated on many songs, all of which are beautiful ones.
When I wasn't able to get KJY, I chose to sing instead and that is how and why I started singing myself, though I didn't really prefer to.
What can we give him in return to what he has given us all these years? Nothing. All we can do is give him a big round of applause.
Like anna told earlier (KJY had spoken about listening to good music and practising rigoursly to succeed as a singer) we need to choose and listen to the right music.
There are many busy people here today doing different things, like Manohar (conductor?) and Vijay Prakash (who was the compere). You just cant catch hold of this guy nowadays! (to which Vijay quickly bowed down and touched IR's feet).

KJY performed a handful of songs (his voice sounded less aged compared to how it has been off late). Do give it a watch if there are any links around.

app_engine
4th April 2011, 09:00 PM
One of the ways to find peace in our stressful lives is to listen to this man's voice. Just two minutes of listening to his singing can relax the mind.

அதே! அதே!!

raj_musing
4th April 2011, 11:30 PM
Happened to watch 'Hrudaya Raga' today noon on Suvarna TV, a felicitation to KJY for his contribution to Kannada film music, that IR also attended.
This happened sometime last month in Bangalore I think and I'd seen IR's picture in one of the posters.

THanks for sharing those moments..This happened at Palace Grounds,Bangalore in the first week of Feb and unfortunately I couldn't be there,though I wished to be there..
Youtube has a couple of links of this program,but not the entire function. If you get the video clips,kindly post it.

KJY also has a great amount of respect for raja and always run out of words, while talking of Raja..

ajaybaskar
5th April 2011, 03:48 PM
Ponnar Shankar songs..

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/moviedetail.asp?mid=T0003043

kanna_82
5th April 2011, 05:02 PM
Ponnar Shankar = The album of the year so far and I doubt that there will be another album to beat this one...!!!

Bavani Varugira...starts totally differently but slowly sway into a superbly waved melody.

Kannai Padithean...out of this world composition...what a melody...easily the pick of this year until know !!!

Thedi Vantha Dhevathai...My Raaja in innovative mood...this song shows clearly that this man never getting old :D

Malar Vililea...Another song to contest for the pick of the album...this song shows Raaja in full form...what a composition and arrangement...U feel the fusion all over the song.

For those ppl who asked abt a full album in tamil where Raaja shows his caliber...eat this...!!!...This is what I have been waiting for...A whole album where Raaja just unfold his wings and takes me under it...musical treat from the one and only..!!!

MumbaiRamki
5th April 2011, 05:13 PM
kanna_82 : Thanks . How will you compare with old IR carnatic classics ?
(Also pls post in new albums thread ..)

Hulkster
5th April 2011, 07:25 PM
No words to describe. Saavadi album, to be listened to believe

AravindMano
9th April 2011, 10:44 PM
Awarded Padma Bushan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8trFvWnOZM&feature=player_embedded)

"reclusive" music director-aam. :)

Chelian
11th April 2011, 07:17 AM
I just love this album... A complete entertaining one from Raja after a long time!!

I wish the producers had invested in marketing for the film earlier on. Not many people are aware of this movie. Even 'sappa' films get good marketing nowadays!

raagas
19th April 2011, 01:30 PM
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-04-18/news-interviews/29428158_1_ilayaraja-munnar-lakshmi-manchu

A new telugu film coming up!

thumburu
19th April 2011, 05:01 PM
veteran hubber complicateur's recent article in Chennai Times - makes for an interesting read.
http://complicateur.blogspot.com/2011/04/tonal-trinity.html

app_engine
20th April 2011, 09:46 PM
From a link jaiganes posted in Kamal thread in TF section :

Vannanilavan on the making of 'avaL appadiththAn': (http://archives.chennaionline.com/entertainment/filmplus/aval.asp)

Ilayaraja was an upcoming music director then. He used to be present right on dot at 8.00 am, on the days when he was to score music, along with Gangai Amaran. They would come to the office of Kumar Arts, together. Ilayaraja used to just roll one tune after the other from his harmonium even in those days, endlessly.

raagas
21st April 2011, 11:20 AM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Pankaj-Kapurs-black-white-tribute-to-Chaplin/articleshow/8024036.cms

Happi to release in Black & White on May 20th.

which means, the audio should be releasing anytime now (or should have been released by now).

vel
21st April 2011, 12:02 PM
sooper hit'nnganna!! Sengaathu Boomiyilae...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF3y5jDQjxo&feature=player_profilepage

raagas
21st April 2011, 12:09 PM
Vel,

From that video, we can gather that there are 5 songs in the film and 2 of them seem to be melodies. Interesting! looking forward to the album. Is it out in the stores?

vel
21st April 2011, 12:15 PM
raagas, CD releases on April 23rd

Sureshs65
21st April 2011, 12:30 PM
sooper hit'nnganna!! Sengaathu Boomiyilae...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF3y5jDQjxo&feature=player_profilepage

yov. ennaya nadakkudhu. We don't even know such a film exists and suddenly the music is released !!! Sounds good from what I heard. The recording is quite good. Let's hope that they don't do a 'Ponnar Shankar' again !!! (Anyway, by listening to the clips of 'Sengaathu Bhoomile' I can clearly 'see' both the sides of the argument now itself :) )

Sureshs65
21st April 2011, 12:33 PM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Pankaj-Kapurs-black-white-tribute-to-Chaplin/articleshow/8024036.cms

Happi to release in Black & White on May 20th.

which means, the audio should be releasing anytime now (or should have been released by now).

High hopes raagas. Going by the 'Ponnar Shankar' experience it will not be a surprise if the audio releases (if it does) after the movie releases :) But to be honest, I am also looking forward to the music of 'Happi' to see what Raja has done in Hindi after 'Paa'. Let's hope they release it soon. ('SRK' is totally shelved now I guess. No hope there.) Which brings us to the Marathi movie for which Raja had toured Maharashtra. No news on that yet. Maybe they will also release it suddenly? With Raja, you never know :)

vel
21st April 2011, 01:14 PM
alov, surprising you were not aware of sengaathu boomiyilae - http://tamil.galatta.com/entertainment/livewire/id/Ilayaraja_enters_film_distribution_with_Sengaathu_ Bhoomiyile_46357.html

raagas
21st April 2011, 01:34 PM
High hopes raagas. Going by the 'Ponnar Shankar' experience it will not be a surprise if the audio releases (if it does) after the movie releases :) But to be honest, I am also looking forward to the music of 'Happi' to see what Raja has done in Hindi after 'Paa'. Let's hope they release it soon. ('SRK' is totally shelved now I guess. No hope there.) Which brings us to the Marathi movie for which Raja had toured Maharashtra. No news on that yet. Maybe they will also release it suddenly? With Raja, you never know :)

Same here Suresh. Happi is the album I am looking forward to because it is special on many counts:

1. Raaja's Hindi album - To see what Raaja does in Hindi where tamil tunes are not rehashed (i think this film has fresh tunes). So it is like starting with a clean slate, on an unfamiliar territory.

2. collaboration with a Hindi/North India based film-maker - I always wanted to see what the film-makers based in Bombay/delhi would like hear from Raaja. What can they extract from him? Or rather what can Raaja deliver to their sensibilities? Given that he somehow could not make any significant inroads into Hindi film music (despite being respected by them), this film is a litmus test to see if he can tame that game or not. His previous hindi films are mostly by South Indian film-makers (Balu Mahendra, Kamal Haasan, Ramgopal Varma and Balki - tamilian anyway,though he made hindi films). Somewhere, Raaja understood their thoughts and the language of their needs and catered accordingly. But this time - it is a different game.

3. Sensibilities of film-maker - Bhavana Talwar's previous film 'Dharm' did impress me. Though Raaja has some experience of working with women film-makers (no discrimination as such, but it is always interesting to see the taste of a woman film-maker) such as the lady who made Vishwa Tulasi, this time, he is collaborating with a woman film-maker (who is into non-commercial films) whose preferences seem to be western classical music and the music of S.D.Burman & Madan Mohan (from the interview of Bhavana Talwar).

4. Experimental Film - This is a non-commercial/experimental/parallel cinema kind of film that is now being turned into Black & white. The songs are sung by lead actor Pankaj Kapoor, who has probably never sung before.

Given these factors and context, in my opinion, this should be the most awaited album for Ilaiyaraaja fans. If Raaja breaks the myth (that he couldnt cater to Hindi sensibilities), then it could be a big turning point for his career as well. I am doubtful if the film will be successful enough to spin its music sales too. But still, if music lovers appreciate the album - it will be an achievement and prove his detractors wrong.

raagas
21st April 2011, 01:42 PM
Btw, SRK is not shelved. The movie is made and the songs are recorded too. Just that it lying in cans. I dont care much about the film but I hope atleast the music releases. Given that it was a combination of raaja-Gulzar, i was so optimistic about it. :-(
I always felt that the lyrics of both Cheeni Kum and Paa would have been amazing if they were by Gulzar. especially Cheeni Kum, because no one is better than Gulzar, in articulating the romantic thoughts of an aged person (or of a child). Infact, Gulzar should be the lyricist Ilaiyaraaja should turn to, for Hindi ventures because they of almost same age and still going strong in their respective fields. :-) I have a hunch that they can connect well!

skr
21st April 2011, 06:12 PM
Sengaathu Bhoomiyile is the movie which Raja is also distributing..Seems like Raja was very impressed with the script, that means we can expect some good folky numbers.The disappointing thing is the publicity..Of late all Raja Tamil movies,other than his fans,noone even seems to be aware..The poor marketing fiasco continues..

irir123
21st April 2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF3y5...yer_detailpage

Hi Friends

Releasing new audio - SENGAATHU BOOMIYILE, music by Ilaiyaraaja.

The function is on 23rd April 2011, 6.30pm at Film Chamber, Chennai.

Attached is the invitation and please visit our youtube clip for audio preview and caller tune codes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF3y5...yer_detailpage

(Sent on behalf of Agilan) !

Thank you

jaiganes
21st April 2011, 09:05 PM
Vel,

From that video, we can gather that there are 5 songs in the film and 2 of them seem to be melodies. Interesting! looking forward to the album. Is it out in the stores?
I get a distinct "Chinnathaayee" feel when listening to the clips.
Also thanks for the "tabla" that simply reinforces my faith in GOD.

jaiganes
21st April 2011, 09:09 PM
Same here Suresh. Happi is the album I am looking forward to because it is special on many counts:

1. Raaja's Hindi album - To see what Raaja does in Hindi where tamil tunes are not rehashed (i think this film has fresh tunes). So it is like starting with a clean slate, on an unfamiliar territory.

2. collaboration with a Hindi/North India based film-maker - I always wanted to see what the film-makers based in Bombay/delhi would like hear from Raaja. What can they extract from him? Or rather what can Raaja deliver to their sensibilities? Given that he somehow could not make any significant inroads into Hindi film music (despite being respected by them), this film is a litmus test to see if he can tame that game or not. His previous hindi films are mostly by South Indian film-makers (Balu Mahendra, Kamal Haasan, Ramgopal Varma and Balki - tamilian anyway,though he made hindi films). Somewhere, Raaja understood their thoughts and the language of their needs and catered accordingly. But this time - it is a different game.

3. Sensibilities of film-maker - Bhavana Talwar's previous film 'Dharm' did impress me. Though Raaja has some experience of working with women film-makers (no discrimination as such, but it is always interesting to see the taste of a woman film-maker) such as the lady who made Vishwa Tulasi, this time, he is collaborating with a woman film-maker (who is into non-commercial films) whose preferences seem to be western classical music and the music of S.D.Burman & Madan Mohan (from the interview of Bhavana Talwar).

4. Experimental Film - This is a non-commercial/experimental/parallel cinema kind of film that is now being turned into Black & white. The songs are sung by lead actor Pankaj Kapoor, who has probably never sung before.

Given these factors and context, in my opinion, this should be the most awaited album for Ilaiyaraaja fans. If Raaja breaks the myth (that he couldnt cater to Hindi sensibilities), then it could be a big turning point for his career as well. I am doubtful if the film will be successful enough to spin its music sales too. But still, if music lovers appreciate the album - it will be an achievement and prove his detractors wrong.
No need to be apprehensive about Raja working with women film makers.
He has done tremendous work for B.R.Vijayalakshmi in "Paattu paadavaa" and the score he gave for suhasini's penn TV episode was hair rising.
Even recently, he gave the superb "Enge nee sendraalum" and couple of other good songs for Leena moovendhar in "KannukkuLLe" (note to A_E - I am biased, but not to lose my musical ear totally).
Also Raja saranam would vouch for the music Raaja gave for "Akka mahadevi verses" for a documentary shot by a woman director (i dont remember her name here).

rajasaranam
21st April 2011, 10:27 PM

Raaja's Chal Chalein was a clean slate :)

JG,
Scribbles on Akka was directed by Madhusree dutta (http://www.madhusreedutta.com/)

rajasaranam
21st April 2011, 10:28 PM
BTW I've already started liking Sengaathu Boomiyile Album from these short clips :)

raagas
22nd April 2011, 10:17 AM
Jaiganes & Rajasaranam,

did i sound apprehensive about women film-makers(hey, I am not a chauvinist :-) )? I only meant that the album could be 'special' because of that aspect too, apart from other aspects. I didnt know about who directed Paattu Paadava but I knew about Scribbles on Akka. It is precisely what I meant - it'd be interesting to see what a woman film-maker (with a good film behind her) with good music taste would have got from raaja.

raagas
22nd April 2011, 10:20 AM
Raaja's Chal Chalein was a clean slate :)

Ah yes, I forgot about this album. But somehow, this album didnt leave that nice an impression on me. I listened to it few times but wasnt impressed. one hariharan song had a good melody and thats about it (for me). I mean, I would any day prefer to Sadma, Paa, Shiva-2006 or Cheeni Kum over Chal Chalein.

skr
22nd April 2011, 01:07 PM
Seems like Agilan is planning to finally release the classic Eera Vizhi Kaaviyangal..
Check out this video with lovely Raja pics..its an EVK Special..Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ms6jMR3eCE&feature=player_profilepage

raagas
22nd April 2011, 03:25 PM
http://flashnewstoday.com/index.php/aryas-project-canned-for-the-moment/

Padithurai's release seems to be unlikely anytime soon. Pch!

Sureshs65
22nd April 2011, 04:29 PM
raagas,

Looks like lot of films have been delayed due to IPL and TN Elections. So my guess is that 'Padithurai' at best can happen during June. Let's hope it happens. The song clips were very promising.

San_K
22nd April 2011, 08:48 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/heroes/2011/04/22-actor-udaya-complaints-kasturi-raja-aid0136.html

Sunil_M88
24th April 2011, 04:01 AM
Ilaiyaraaja back to Tollywood with Gundello Godari

Ace musician Ilaiyaraaja is coming to the Telugu film industry with Gundello Godari. Multi-faceted Lakshmi Manchu has roped in the legendary music director for her upcoming film Gundello Godari.

Ilaiyaraaja and Lakshmi Manchu camped in Munnar for the music composition in April first week. Sources say that they have returned to Chennai recently after churning out some melody tunes for Gundello Godari. Meanwhile, the music director is scoring music for Balakrishna's next film Sri Rama Rajyam.

Besides producing, Lakshmi Manchu will act in the lead role in the film. She is introducing a
new director with Gundello Godari.

source: oneindia

rajasaranam
24th April 2011, 11:42 AM
<dig> Lakshmi Manchu have Hot Looks ;) http://www.google.co.in/search?q=Lakshmi+Manchu&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADSA_en&prmd=ivnsu&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Fr2zTZ7iKIrEvQPqh5SEBw&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=1259&bih=595 Raaja should not give template tunes to this figure <end dig>

Plum
24th April 2011, 12:01 PM
Lakshmi manchu - mohan babu's daughter?

skr
24th April 2011, 12:07 PM
Sample songs of Sengaathu Bhoomiyile
http://www.emusic.com/album/Ilaiyaraaja-Sengathu-Boomiyile-MP3-Download/12521019.html

Sureshs65
24th April 2011, 12:42 PM
Yes Plum. The same lady. She runs a talk show of her own and flaunts her English accented Telugu!!!

crvenky
24th April 2011, 06:57 PM
A report on Sengathu Bhoomiyile audio release function (IR is present):
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2011/apr/240411.asp

raagas
25th April 2011, 07:20 AM
Yes Plum. The same lady. She runs a talk show of her own and flaunts her English accented Telugu!!!

yes, her career and her dad's career seem to be poles apart. She studied theatre and film-making in the US and even made several short films there. Apparently, she is even a regular in some TV shows in the US such as Las Vegas.

rajasaranam
26th April 2011, 11:06 AM
இளையராஜாவின் கோபம் (http://tamil.chennaivision.com/?p=1694)

Plum
26th April 2011, 11:16 AM
ivarai EmpA vizhAvuku kUppudaRInga? appuram asingappattAn autokAran rangekku agaRInga?

Suresh and Raagas, thanks and thought so. Looks like female members of the family are sent off on such pursuits. Remember that Krishna's daughter was also pushed towards foreign education, theatre etc. She did produce that national award winning film, didnt she? Although nowadays all she produces seem to be Mahesh Babu duds

MumbaiRamki
26th April 2011, 11:17 AM
இளையராஜாவின் கோபம் (http://tamil.chennaivision.com/?p=1694)
Athaane paarththaaen .. ennada controversy varaliye nu !

vel
26th April 2011, 01:17 PM
Raja, i am sure, wanted everyone to know that thamilmani was lying.

While closing his speech, he told everyone - i planned to speak a lot but since some of the earlier speakers took long time to complete their talk, i am not able to speak elaborately on what i had planned to speak,

Then, people were starting to leave and raaja was still near the podium, posing with the organizers and actors for photos shots. And when Thamilzmani came near him, he said,"Neengalae neraiya neram pesitteenga, engala pesa vidaama...paravayilla, medaiyilaeyae nalla nadikareenga !"

The mike was not on....but some cheap press morons near by could clearly hear what Raja told Thamilzmani and have projected as if Raaja told it without knowing the mike was on....For a man who can tell one jarring violin out of 100, to expect him to be so naive is just baffling.....And Raja told this loud and clear ! Only that too many people were near by, rushing for a closer view of thalaivar.....

baroque
27th April 2011, 05:37 AM
This is an audio release function.
Shri.Ilayaraaja- as it's music director is present.

nejammaavey , it would have been nice, if he was allowed to speak more on the compositions, theme of the movie etc..
I couldn't get over
en usuru.... composition, whole day spending time with Swarna's songs, miss her dearly.

Hope Shri.IR has recalled Singer Swarnalatha's efforts in his folk compositions like this album's couple of songs sung Rita.

Remember Gowtham Menon's audio release function for Rahman's Vinnath thaandi Varuvaayaa album.
It was about music and very enjoyable.
Amir khan's Peepli live audio release too, crew enjoyed with music playing.

inga ennadaannaa... IR invite senju , irritate pannaraanga.

When are these fellows going to learn?
Padma award kodukkum podhu vaangikkongalen.

Vinatha.

venkkiram
27th April 2011, 07:26 AM
This is an audio release function. Shri.Ilayaraaja- as it's music director is present. nejammaavey , it would have been nice, if he was allowed to speak more on the compositions இதெல்லாம் பழைய தலைமுறை மக்களுக்கு தோன்றாத, பழக்கப்படாத ஒன்று. பழைய தலைமுறை என்பதில் நடிகர்கள், தயாரிப்பாளர்கள், இயக்குனர்கள் எல்லோரும் அடக்கம்.

baroque
27th April 2011, 07:35 AM
mmmm....

anyway.... when we read the news , we feel sad but we always move on keeping good things in our mind.

yeah.... Ilayaraaja, WE KEEP THE GOOD ONES, here in this case... en usuru......composition.

Vinatha.

entertainment
29th April 2011, 12:43 PM
One of my friends told me that SB is IR's 999th Movie. He heard this news in an FM in Coimbatore. Is that true? If I am right, MSV was the only MD who reached this number.

San_K
29th April 2011, 01:24 PM
I believe both numbers of IR and MSV are wrong

raagas
29th April 2011, 01:54 PM
One of my friends told me that SB is IR's 999th Movie. He heard this news in an FM in Coimbatore. Is that true? If I am right, MSV was the only MD who reached this number.

This page: http://www.ilayaraja.co.in/movies.html, which is incomplete shows about 800 odd films. And looking at www.rakkamma.com, scanning the list of films that came after Cheeni Kum, I can add some 30-40 films (not counting dubbed films). So if the links above are accurate, to most extent, then I think IR is still around 900 odd films in number and has not yet reached close to 1000. But I think he will, in 2-3 years time may be!