2 South Korean Movies for the Week-End

Movie 1

Pirates [2014 : Korean : 2h10m : Adventure (Epic, Action, Comedy)]

Directed by Lee Seok-hoon

Starring : Son Ye-jin (super figure), Kim Nam-gil & Yoo Hae-jin (This guy is really funny)

A Korean Masala Film.

Pirates-the film, has action, comedy, tragedy, romance, adventure, revenge and much more stocked inside. Various groups - sea pirates, bandits, mercenary - embark into the sea to retrieve the royal seal lost in the waters. When they meet, the sea floor becomes a battle field.

There is a superb action block in a town where the Pirate leader chases the Bandit leader. The music is epic and the sword fights are sleek in style. The film is funny even with subtitles. The quality of special effects is great - the sequences with the Whale are class.

Get packed and take the sea with the Pirates.

Pirates - Fun on Waves

Movies Artwork

Movie 2

The Divine Move (Sin-ui Hansu) [2014 : Korean : 2h : Thriller (Action, Suspense, Drama)]

Directed by Jo Bum-gu

Starring : Lee Si-young (nick named "Belly Button") & Jung Woo-sung

The Divine Move is an interesting film with its ample share of violence (Kitchen Knife Brawls, etc., - viewers discretion is advised). Eventhough I had no clue about the board game, the principle plot of the film, the way its filmed and the music score easily allowed me to be a part of the procedings. The way the board, the coin and the players are filmed brings in the intensity, the actors and the BGM elevating the interest.

The film is about a board game called Baduk (a kind of checker game where you eat the opponents coins with your strategic moves across lines - that's what I made out anyway). The hero looses and left to rot. He comes back and takes revenge.

The thrills & suspense get the clock ticking and the fist fights are catchy. If you know this board game, it would add more involvement with the film, else, it is an entertaining watch.

The Divine Move - GO