Thread: R.K. Narayan

Hybrid View

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Sambhavi (@ 202.*) on: Wed Dec 19 07:14:42

R. K. Narayan is one of my favourite writers.

He makes me feel proud to be a south Indian. Not because he was one but because that's who I am. I'm no longet embaressed to be a 'khatti' who eats rasam and curd rice, goes to a temple of Lord Venkateswara and who might have an arranged marriage.

What I really like about his work is that it is so easy to associate with his world. Anywhere you go, you'll find a malgudi.

And all his characters seem so familiar. Be it The guide, The English teacher, The Vendor of sweets, the astrologer or anyone else. They're familiar, loveable and - in most cases - rogues.

What makes his work so amazing is that there's something new to see each time you read the piece. It's not a one time deal. And the subtelity with which he operates and the fact that he never seems to condemn anyone only strengthens my admiration.

The way in which he ends his pieces is amazing. At first I think the ending was too abrupt. But the more I think about it, I feel to say any more is to undermine the readers' intelligence. And that is one thing R.K.Narayan never did.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement