Finished reading 'The Lightning Thief' by Rick Riordan. My 4 grandsons(between ages 13 and 8-all avid book readers) goaded me read it! My dil warned me about it not being my cup of tea! But the kids' recommendation was overwhelming- I can't help pampering them! Well, my dil was right, after all. But it happily carried me to my college days when my subject(literature) introduced me to Greek and Roman mythology. It is awesome to see the kids learning about mythology so early, thanks to the games they play and their curiosity kindled to know more from books and net. The action novel reenacts Greek mythology in modern context. Great imagination connecting us to the past with relevance and clarity. What I liked best is the author's sarcasm about Americans. It was a revelation to me to know the bed of Mississipi is also filled with garbage and the polluted Pacific waters. The juvenile delinquency described and many other casual description of general life there made me ponder over the blindly rosy American dream of our people!
My grandsons want me to read the whole series- about 6. I firmly said NO. one sample is enough I've told them. Next they want me start reading the '39 Clues' series. Again laughter from my dil. I've promised them to read one sample, the 1st of the series-'The maze of Bones'. My endeavours to keep abreast of the new generation is challenging and adventurous! It is interesting for me and them to tease each other about how 'stupid' or 'kiddish' are the games the other loves to play online!